MXR Blue Box...

Kittie Rose

• Members

Personally, I'd just go with a Whammy or another fuzz. I don't like the bypass on Dunlop owned MXR pedals, and I've also heard it has some pretty bad volume drop issues.

I'd imagine you could probably get the same kind of sound with a whammy...or maybe even something like an Octave Multiplexer. :idk:

• Members

it's not really the same, actually. The guitar sound and one of the octaves down have their waveform changed to sawtooth or square or something, plus there's the fact that the blue box does two octaves down at the same time, while the whammy would do either or.

The volume drop mod is the easiest thing in the world (just take out one diode.... C17 I think), and it's really a no brainer at $60.

• Members

it's not really the same, actually. The guitar sound and one of the octaves down have their waveform changed to sawtooth or square or something, plus there's the fact that the blue box does two octaves down at the same time, while the whammy would do either or.

The volume drop mod is the easiest thing in the world (just take out one diode.... C17 I think), and it's really a no brainer at $60.

Really? That's all you do to fix the volume drop? :eek:

How about the bypass on the Blue Box? Is it any better than, say, a Dunlop Phase90?

• Members

My main problem with the French Toast moreso than the Ring-Modness of the octaving is that it doesn't clean up at all. It just sounds "Weaker" at lower gain levels. Though the Fuzz Factory is like this too, and kind of cleans up when you roll the volume knob down on your guitar.

• Members

Haha, yeah. I can't afford that much for a pedal right now though, and I'd feel real bad paying a small amount.

I understand why he's doing it though, it's a good plan. It gives him a much better idea of what kind of money people are prepared to pay, meaning he can price more intelligently in the future.

• Members

Haha, yeah. I can't afford that much for a pedal right now though, and I'd feel real bad paying a small amount.

I understand why he's doing it though, it's a good plan. It gives him a much better idea of what kind of money people are prepared to pay, meaning he can price more intelligently in the future.

I'd love to get that Super Chili Picoso boost that he has, but I could never, ever justify spending $160 for it, or any other booster pedal for that matter.

And, I don't have even the slightest idea on how to use Ebay, so I'll probably be passing on the octave fuzz...

• Members

blue box is awesome. you kind of have to adjust your playing to make the pedal respond correctly. its sometimes random, mine was good about volume. i had one on my board for a while, and i liked it, but i get more of the particular sound i want from an OC-2 into a heavy fuzz.

• Members

its not a diode its a capacitor, hence C 11!

but yea, ya clip it out and it boosts the vol.

mxr bypass is kinda {censored}ty on some pedals,others its ok.

the bluebox has very minor bleed thru on bypass which is the reason id never use it live at such volumes.

i looooove it tho and i been meaning to make one with true bypass to solve the problem once and for all,ill even put it in the blue box enclosure.

:wave:

• Members

Is the Subdecay Noise Box similar to the Blue Box just a lot more glitchy?

Each one can definitely serve a different purpose. Though both pedals have the potential to sound like an exploding 8-bit Nintendo game, I could never get my Noise Box to create octave doubling like the Blue Box.

If anyone is interested in a pedal that is similar to the Blue Box but does not have a volume drop, the Mid-Fi Electronics Glitch Computer and DOD FX33 Buzz Box are decent options. In addition, as another forumite has already suggested, an analog octave divider/fuzz combo can yield similar sounds.

• Members

Love my Blue Box, but that doesn't mean I haven't thought of trading/selling it at times. The good thing is, you can always pick one up from someone on the cheap & usually let it go again with no loss.

Agree'd with the above post suggesting a good time w/ the Auto Wah. I use my AW-2 with the Blue Box and it's awesome.

I also really like the Blue Box as a stand-alone fuzz - no octave. It's a great sound.

• Members

its not a diode its a capacitor, hence
C
11!

but yea, ya clip it out and it boosts the vol.

mxr bypass is kinda {censored}ty on some pedals,others its ok.

the bluebox has very minor bleed thru on bypass which is the reason id never use it live at such volumes.

i looooove it tho and i been meaning to make one with true bypass to solve the problem once and for all,ill even put it in the blue box enclosure.

:wave:

How bad is the bleed-through? Is it noticeable for say recording? How about at rehearsal levels?

Archived