Simple Classic 30 Boost Question

tidalwaveGB

• Members

In the past, I have used various OD pedals to boost the dirty channel on my Classic 30, but I always thought that it changed the tone more than I wanted.

That's the main problem.

I want to get more gain/distortion out of my Classic 30, but I don't want to change the tone.

Question: Is a clean boost, in front of the amp my best option? I am strongly considering the MXR Micro Amp. Are there any better choices in this price range?

Thanks.

• Members

I have Peavey Delta Blues, which is basically the same amp, but with a tremolo circuit. Anyway the cheap easy thing to do is to get an EQ pedal and put in the effects loop to shape the sound the way you want it...hint cut the the mids slightly. But this also depends on the tubes you have in your amp as well. For the highest gain, you will need all JJ's. Use high gainers in V1 and V2, and balanced for V3. Your clean sound will suffer as a result though. I basically wound up not doing this way cause I use mine primarily for blues. What I wound up doing is putting a NOS Sylvania yellow label in V1, and JJ high gain in V2 and a JJ balanced in V3. I also have JJ power tubes as well. I can get a nice Marshally style crunch with this setup, and if I want it to be more modern, I put the EQ Pedal in the FX loop and cut the mids and just a little..I have found I also get a fendery clean on CH1 with this.

BTW, the dirt channel on these things is very picky on what you kick it with. I have found that it's only useful for temp solo boosting with OD pedals. The other thing you can do, and is what I mostly do, is get a nice high gain pedal and use it through the clean channel...Rocktron Metal Planet is great for this.

• Members

I have Peavey Delta Blues, which is basically the same amp, but with a tremolo circuit. Anyway the cheap easy thing to do is to get an EQ pedal and put in the effects loop to shape the sound the way you want it...hint cut the the mids slightly. But this also depends on the tubes you have in your amp as well. For the highest gain, you will need all JJ's. Use high gainers in V1 and V2, and balanced for V3. Your clean sound will suffer as a result though. I basically wound up not doing this way cause I use mine primarily for blues. What I wound up doing is putting a NOS Sylvania yellow label in V1, and JJ high gain in V2 and a JJ balanced in V3. I also have JJ power tubes as well. I can get a nice Marshally style crunch with this setup, and if I want it to be more modern, I put the EQ Pedal in the FX loop and cut the mids and just a little..I have found I also get a fendery clean on CH1 with this.

BTW, the dirt channel on these things is very picky on what you kick it with. I have found that it's only useful for temp solo boosting with OD pedals. The other thing you can do, and is what I mostly do, is get a nice high gain pedal and use it through the clean channel...Rocktron Metal Planet is great for this.

I like this idea. Dano fish and chips should work well.

I have a classic 50 and I use the boost mode on my Hyper fuzz (which has a 2-band eq) that also works well. Im not suggesting that you get a hyperfuzz, but having a boost with an eq is a great idea!

Archived