Fixing a pedal

jvhc

• Members

My friend gave me a broken Boss DD-5 pedal, I was wondering how I could fix it. Basically, the LED lights up, but it doesn't alter the sound at all, no matter what setting it's on. Would it maybe be a problem with the switch? What would be the best thing to do...? I don't wanna open it up tooo much, as there's a huge circuit board in it which i'll probably break...

Thanks

• Members

Boss won't be any help.

If the pedal lights up and turns off with the switch, it's probably not a switch issue. It can be a fried chip, a crapped out electrolyitic capacitor, or it could be a broken jack or maybe a loose wire.

I would suggest opening it to see if there are any obvious problems such as broken solder points, or checking the jacks to see if it is working right, but given that you are worried about breaking the board, you're probably better off selling the pedal to someone who's had more experience fixing pedals.

As for sending it off to someone to be fixed, the bench fees are such that it's almost never worth it to send in a pedal for a non-warranty repair. Delay pedals are complicated -- I say flip it for a few bucks unless you want to risk frying the pedal as you try to learn how to work on it, which isn't exacty a bad idea seeing that the pedal was given to you.

c

Archived