any interest in a parametric mid booster pedal?

bikehorn

• Members

I'm a cranked-up low-power vintage amp kind of guy. My Traynor YGM-3 doesn't put out a lot of dirt as it is even when turned up loud, but I know that said dirt is in there. I've experienced it. I've been trying different dirtboxes and boosters to get a crunchy natural distorted sound.

I won't give up on overdrive pedals because I like the sounds they make, but not for everything. Clean boosts I found were good for some jobs but a little boring. The most compelling results came from my EQ pedal which I typically set to have strong emphasis on the midrange, usually between 400 hz and 2-3 khz as well as a signal level boost. I change the exact frequency I emphasise most for different sounds from throaty to nasally. These settings let me get a lot of "kerrang" out of the amp, but depending on the setting I can also get a Marshallesque midrange roar out of it. It's like a "balls switch". Parking it before a distortion box can have similar effects and completely change the sound. I can make my Ross OD, normally a fairly "amplike" distortion into a downright NASTY fuzz.

I got to thinking that since this is pretty much all I'm using the EQ for and the basic shape of the EQ curve stayed the same(only the location changed), I might be able to get better results with a dedicated pedal for the job - using a single parametric filter. I have most of the parts but I won't really have the time to prototype it till probably February. It's got a 6-way rotary switch to select the frequency range(or I could use a pot), a resonance control(aka Q, but I think resonance sounds cooler), control for amount of frequency boost and an opamp level boost on the output, controlled by a pot.

I told my friend about what I was planning to build, and he said he wanted one. I've been on and off toying with the idea of making and selling a few pedals for side bucks. Not exactly "going into the effects business", just making pocket change from a hobby. 10 or 15 boxes at most, basically enough to cover another project of mine(50 watt class A solid state hi-fi amp). Is this a concept for a pedal that people aside from myself might actually want? The design is an original, price range 70ish?

• 1 month later...

Archived