Noise Police - what are your secrets?

Tweeker50

• Members

I'm a member of the 21st century noise police.

In 1978, my ElectroHarmonix Small Stone was waaaaaaaay noisy, but so was everything. Fast forward 30 years - I recently bought a POG (great pedal) but returned it because it added too much noise to my pedalboard/amp set up.

One more try - just aquired a WIGGLER and like so many EHX pedals, it's got tons of personality. I love this modulation monster but guess what - IT'S NOISY!

I play clean and quieter than most, so I notice what most players don't hear and/or don't mind. The EHX reps admit that noise floor is not a priority for them, but it still seems like 1978 when I kick in the WIGGLER.

Any NOISE POLICE out there with suggestions to help tame this wild WIGGLER?

-- I find that noise gates are lousy band aids.

-- Changing tubes has made no difference.

-- All loose screws that cause poor ground have been tightened.

• Members

I usually go through a small analog mixer (Yamaha MG 10/12), and when hiss removal is needed I just turn the master volume down low and the input signal up higher. It's also nice to have the extra gain from the pres and the eq knobs to play with right at the end of the line. You can also toss a noise supressor into the mixer's effects loop, and mix it's return signal with the main input, for a half and half kind of deal.

Archived