Marshall Guv'nor vs Hao Rust Driver

separanets

• Members

I was always meaning to try out the Hao Rust Driver, because it was a good imitator of the Marshall Plexi's tone. I can buy it only from Japan. However, on youtube I found some samples of the Marshall GV-2+ and the tones were speakingly like Marshall tube sound. That's strange, because I have a JMP-1 and it seems to me the GV-2 still sounds closer to Marshall tube amps. So I wonder if there's anyone who've checked out both pedals.

Ah yes, due to some shipment issues a used Hao will be $130 for me while a used guv'nor -- $30-50. Thus, the GV-2 can be a deal.

What do you think?

Thanks.

• Members

I have a Rust Driver and it's very Marshally. Probably one of the best pedals I've tried to get that Marshall crunch. Just one volume knob and a three way eq toggle, but it sounds great on a clean amp. Haven't tried the other one you're talking about though, sorry.

• Members

I was always meaning to try out the Hao Rust Driver, because it was a good imitator of the Marshall Plexi's tone. I can buy it only from Japan. However, on youtube I found some samples of the Marshall GV-2+ and the tones were speakingly like Marshall tube sound. That's strange, because I have a JMP-1 and it seems to me the GV-2 still sounds closer to Marshall tube amps. So I wonder if there's anyone who've checked out both pedals.

Ah yes, due to some shipment issues a used Hao will be $130 for me while a used guv'nor -- $30-50. Thus, the GV-2 can be a deal.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Why can you only get Haos from Japan? I bought one on Ebay for $81 plus $7.00 shipping. Is the GV-2 true by-pass? I have a Marshall 100 watt combo and the Hao mimics the plexi full grind sound through my clean channel better than the OD-1 channel on my AVT-100. The OD-1 channel is suppose to be able to provide plexi-like overdrive, and it does, but not quite as good as the Hao Rust Driver. PM me if you like about the rust driver.

• Members

>>my Guv'nor II+ eats tone when in bypass like nuts...

They write the Marshall Guv'nor has a passive bypass cirquit

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHGV2

I can buy it only from Japan because I can access the Yahoo auction rather independently, while I can't still use eBay due to the very PayPal restricted conditions for my country.

• Members

Now I've bought a used Guv'nor for $30. It's got really passive bypass. Wellm the tone itsn't that bad, but it has totally no sustain. The sound is very short. I compared it to my Deucetone Rat and Maxon 830 Distortion. And the GV-2 doesn't catch up with eather of them.

• Members

Now I've bought a used Guv'nor for $30. It's got really passive bypass. Wellm the tone itsn't that bad, but it has totally no sustain. The sound is very short. I compared it to my Deucetone Rat and Maxon 830 Distortion. And the GV-2 doesn't catch up with eather of them.

That's a shame. I wish I would have seen this thread earlier - I would have recommended against it for those very reasons.

• 4 months later...

Archived