Ring Modulators....

Iamtheblues

• Members

+ a lot on the Copilot FX Android.

http://www.copilotfx.com/theandroid.html

I love mine. You can get a lot of weird noises, and the volume knob is a big plus (something that the Frequency Modulator doesn't have, but could use sometimes.). Plus, it has an expression jack so you can control the frequency of the modulation with an expression/volume pedal and also takes up a LOT less space than the Frequency Analyzer (it's in an small MXR-sized box). It can also do a cool, very lo-fi stutter tremolo, which the Frequency Analyzer can't do.

However, it does sound different than the Frequency Analyzer. Check out the demos of each, and you'll notice that they sound different, even though they both do the same thing. Sort of like the difference between a Small Stone and a Phase 90: even though they are both phasers, they sound different.

I think the android is definitely cool, though, considering the extra features and the smaller footprint, and the fact that it costs $20 less than the frequency analyzer. I was looking at buying a frequency analyzer before I received the android as a gift of sorts.

Highly reccomended:thu:

Now I have to go play it.

EDIT: If you do decide to get one, make sure you get the newer four-knob version and not the old two-knobber. The old one doesn't have the volume control, the mix knob, or the expression pedal jack if I remember right.

• Members
+ a lot on the Copilot FX Android.

http://www.copilotfx.com/theandroid.html

I love mine. You can get a lot of weird noises, and the volume knob is a big plus (something that the Frequency Modulator doesn't have, but could use sometimes.). Plus, it has an expression jack so you can control the frequency of the modulation with an expression/volume pedal and also takes up a LOT less space than the Frequency Analyzer (it's in an small MXR-sized box). It can also do a cool, very lo-fi stutter tremolo, which the Frequency Analyzer can't do.

However, it does sound different than the Frequency Analyzer. Check out the demos of each, and you'll notice that they sound different, even though they both do the same thing. Sort of like the difference between a Small Stone and a Phase 90: even though they are both phasers, they sound different.

I think the android is definitely cool, though, considering the extra features and the smaller footprint, and the fact that it costs $20 less than the frequency analyzer. I was looking at buying a frequency analyzer before I received the android as a gift of sorts.

Highly reccomended:thu:

Now I have to go play it.

EDIT: If you do decide to get one, make sure you get the newer four-knob version and not the old two-knobber. The old one doesn't have the volume control, the mix knob, or the expression pedal jack if I remember right.

Holy {censored}! That thing sounds awesome. I'm on clip #2 and I'm sold. :lol:

The Exp. out would be awesome as well.

Where can I buy the Android?

• Members

Just want to note that it's great it has a mix knob now; I see ring mods without them all the time and it makes me sad, because one without one is real hard to use conventionally(all the same for noise making though)

It's why I love my moog one. Turning it to one of the crazier settings and using it on keys/guitar with the mix knob at 50%..:love:

• Members

i've been looking into ring modultors too. Can the android to the paranoid solo sound? The clips with the stutter trem sound really cool.

I've tried. You can get somewhat close, but an octave divider sounds closer.

The fact taht no one knows exactly what Iommi used on "Paranoid" makes it that much harder.

• Members

The Android is {censored}ing awesome, but stay away if you want clean ring-mod.

If you want clean ring mod, the Frequency Analyzer is the way to go. It's also got a low-pass filter, which is awesome.

+1

They are two different beasts. Both are cool, though.

I just love my android. (and no, I don't work/am endorsed by/own copilot)

• Members

+1

They are two different beasts. Both are cool, though.

I just love my android. (and no, I don't work/am endorsed by/own copilot)

I've had them both, currently have the Android, and I want to pick up the Frequency Analyzer again.

And sometime I'll grab the Moog for all the CV goodness.

Actually all the CopilotFX stuff is pretty rad. You (anyone) should go check them out!

• Members

with the android can you do something like that : play a note on the guitar then turn the freq knob clockwise to make it go into higher freq? kinda like a synth sound or a siren sound?

that's what i really liked about my moog

• Members

with the android can you do something like that : play a note on the guitar then turn the freq knob clockwise to make it go into higher freq? kinda like a synth sound or a siren sound?

Yep, both the antenna do it better

Yep, the android isnt a clean ring mod, is more lofi dirty than the moog

• Members

I just tonight ordered a Moog Ring Mod and look forward to it and my theremin coming in the mail in a week or so!!!

Lots of craziness to be had with that combo. Will be posting around then to find some conventional settings for it too! But will prob find some by just noodling.

What are the biggest pros/cons you Moog Ring Mod owners have found???

Archived