Boss DD-6, DD-5, DD-20, other?

surfcat

• Members

I have a DE-7, which is good since I like a more analog sound usually, but for U2 type dotted 8ths and tap tempo, I'm thinking of one of these. I saw a demo of the DD-5 with an external switch for tap tempo-didn't know it had this or needed an extra pedal.

Anyway, which of these has a dotted 8ths setting and tap tempo. Any other features I should know about? The DD-20 has tape simulation, which would be cool but a smaller footprint is great-is there a smaller version of that one? Someone said there was-if so what is it missing from the bigger one?

• Members

What's better about the DD-5? Sound?

It sounds better imo, has external tap tempo. (DD-6 has tap tempo mode but you have to press to turn it on, hold down for 2 seconds to get into tap tempo mode, then tap your tempo, then hold down for another 2 second, press to turn off. And delay is heard while yo do this)

DD-5, you can tap your tempo in with the pedal being off and it makes it easier to use live.

• Members

It sounds better imo, has external tap tempo. (DD-6 has tap tempo mode but you have to press to turn it on, hold down for 2 seconds to get into tap tempo mode, then tap your tempo, then hold down for another 2 second, press to turn off. And delay is heard while yo do this)

DD-5, you can tap your tempo in with the pedal being off and it makes it easier to use live.

Thanks, good to know.

• Members

The DD-6 has 4 different time settings. In tap mode each of them does a different type of tap -- 1/8, 1/4, etc. I don't remember exactly which does what, but it's in the manual. It will do dotted 8ths.

The hold to engage tap tempo isn't that big a deal, depending on what you're doing with it. You don't have to disengage tap tempo. You can just put it in that mode by holding for 2 seconds, and then leave it there. Then you can tap all you want, and it keeps updating its delay time according to your taps.

• Members

The DD-6 has 4 different time settings. In tap mode each of them does a different type of tap -- 1/8, 1/4, etc. I don't remember exactly which does what, but it's in the manual. It will do dotted 8ths.

The hold to engage tap tempo isn't that big a deal, depending on what you're doing with it. You don't
have
to disengage tap tempo. You can just put it in that mode by holding for 2 seconds, and then leave it there. Then you can tap all you want, and it keeps updating its delay time according to your taps.

Yes but the effect will be ON unless you put the pedal in TB Looper.

btw, DD-5 does the same time settings as the DD-6 (if I remember correctly.)

• Members

I have a DE-7, which is good since I like a more analog sound usually, but for U2 type dotted 8ths and tap tempo, I'm thinking of one of these. I saw a demo of the DD-5 with an external switch for tap tempo-didn't know it had this or needed an extra pedal.

Anyway, which of these has a dotted 8ths setting and tap tempo. Any other features I should know about? The DD-20 has tape simulation, which would be cool but a smaller footprint is great-is there a smaller version of that one? Someone said there was-if so what is it missing from the bigger one?

You do realize that the DE7 is excellent for dotted eighth notes, right?

:freak:

• Members

The only advantage the DD-6 has over the DD-5 is the reverse mode can do 100% wet reverse sounds out of the box. Past that, the tap tempo on the DD-5 works a lot better IMHO. That being said, I think a used DD-20 is better than both for many reasons. You'll get a lot more delay for not much more money, especially if you pick one up used.

• Members

You can't tap them though.

Neither can you on a DMM, which is the pedal for U2 (at least early U2). The big sweep of the knob compared to its relatively short delay time makes dialing in the right sound easier than tap for me. I had a DD20 but it didn't do anything special for me.

• Members
How are the analog and tape sounds on the DD-20 though? That might make it worth the extra dough, especially if the tape delay is really good. I don't like how big it is though.

The analog sim is REALLY impressive on the DD20. Tape sim is very good also, although I think the Echo Park I used to have might edge it out in that setting. I also really love the modulated setting and that's saying a lot- my other mod. delay is a DMM.

Archived