Kontakt vs. Reason/Advice

Palaver

• Members

I haven't used either, but I have done some research on Reason, and I know that if you buy 3.0 now you will get 4.0 shipped to you in the fall, and I am incredibly interested in that Thor synth. Why would someone use Kontakt over Reason, and which would compliment Ableton software the best? I know Kontakt make their form of a sampler, and producer their own libraries, along with their own softsynths. Anyone here using Kontakt live?

I am thinking about just adding the Sampler and Operator synth to Ableton to make it an-all-in-one solution... and collecting Sample libraries as I need them (ie: from GiggaStudio)... and then eventually tacking on Reason, but this may be redundant once I really get going...

Another question:

I need to pick up an external hard-drive, and I was wondering what is recommended for space? I know the obvious answer: it depends on how many sample libraries, etc., and that you want something at 7200rpm... but what does it usually take for doing multiple audio tracks, and how much headroom is comfortable?

All your help is greatly appreciated,

Phil

• Members

Reason is like nothing else. It's seperate instruments are good (or maybe ok to some people), but taken together it is powerful. But you need to try the demo. Some people hate it. It seems restrictive to some people.

Reason's NNXT sampler is nice, but it can't be compared to Kontakt. Kontakt is very powerful. I own and use both reason and kontakt. I'd recomend both of them, but if you are only buying one... it may come down to the question of streaming large samples. NNXT does not stream. Well, Kontakt has scripting too....

• Members

Reason is like nothing else. It's seperate instruments are good (or maybe ok to some people), but taken together it is powerful. But you need to try the demo. Some people hate it. It seems restrictive to some people.

Reason's NNXT sampler is nice, but it can't be compared to Kontakt. Kontakt is very powerful. I own and use both reason and kontakt. I'd recomend both of them, but if you are only buying one... it may come down to the question of streaming large samples. NNXT does not stream. Well, Kontakt has scripting too....

Do you know how the Kontakt sampler compares with the Ableton sampler? And what do you mean by scripting? What intrigues me about the Kontakt is their guitar samples, and some form of guitar plucking/strumming options... I have never seen or use Kontakt but it does look quite interesting. Have you ever used it Live?

As of now I have Ableton and a Triton Extreme. My plan was to use Ableton, acquire the Operator synth and the Sampler... and then eventually sync it up to Reason 4.0. It would just be an absolute dream if they sold Thor as a seperate package!

-Phil

• Members

I don't have Live, so I don't know anything about the sampler.

Have you looked at the Native Instruments web site? They have a lot of information about Kontakt. My simplistic idea of scripting is that it is a user friendly way to do advanced programing, a way to make samples more realistic. Maybe someone else can give a better answer. You can also search v. i. control and northernsounds forums. They have a lot of discussions about Kontakt.

Also, if you are just starting out, Reason's NNXT may be all the sampler you need... at least for a while.

Archived