Making my Own Cables

krisnrg

• Members

Hey guys a want to make some custom cables for my pedal board. I don't really want George L's I want to solder them in.

So I heard Switchcraft plugs are the best. Where is the best place to get them at a good price? smallbear?

Also I have no idea what type of cable to buy? Can u guys recommend some good cable at an affordable price? I'm not really into that super great quality expensive stuff. I just need decent cable to chop up and solder. Thanks

• Members
Hey guys a want to make some custom cables for my pedal board. I don't really want George L's I want to solder them in.

So I heard Switchcraft plugs are the best. Where is the best place to get them at a good price? smallbear?

Also I have no idea what type of cable to buy? Can u guys recommend some good cable at an affordable price? I'm not really into that super great quality expensive stuff. I just need decent cable to chop up and solder. Thanks

Cheack out http://www.effectsconnection.com :thu:

• Members

I made some a while back with Switchcraft 226 (right angle plugs) and 280 (straight plugs, or vice versa) and Canare GS-6 cable. Check Ebay for some deals.

*Edit* - I just found these on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SWITCHCRAFT-1-4-RIGHT-ANGLE-226-PLUG-PEDALBOARD-GUITAR_W0QQitemZ200207305027QQihZ010QQcategoryZ47076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And this from Markertek:
http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=GS%2D6+BK&off=1&sort=prod&skuonly=0&search=canare+gs%2D6&pagesize=20

• Members

This place has both the jacks and the cable.

Look in the menu to the left for "Jacks and Plugs" and go to the bottom of the next menu for "Switchcraft Plugs".

Next look under "Wire/Heat Shrink" and pick the "20 AWG Instrument Cable". Don't forget to add some heat shrink too. It helps make the junction more robust.

I didn't compare, but I think they are as good as Small Bear or better.

• Members

In my opinion, and I soldered THOUSANDS of connectors (11 years at Whirlwind), I think the Neutrik NP2C is the best connector to use. Even better the NP2RC right angle for pedal jumpers.

And for the money, Whirlwind Acousonic+1 is an excellent, very well shielded cable. Most dealers can order small runs of it, or even keep a spool on hand to sell off lengths.

And I don't want to just come off as a company man. The reason I push Whirlwind so much, is you would be surprised how many people in a new generation know nothing of this company. Guitar Centers have been pushing Planet Waves (which are good cables) and (ugh) Monster Cable down so many throats.

Soldering your own is a great thing all guitarists should learn. It's a lot easier than it may seem, and even a $15 iron from Radio Shack can suffice to solder any guitar, speaker or microphone cable.

Archived