Vox V847A's Impossible to mod?

Corduroy

• Members

Use it to get the rraditional Vox wah sound. It can be modded, but you'd be better off with a different wah if the screwdriver-in-your-eye Vox sound isn't your thing.

I kind of dig them in limited use myself.

Yeah, I do love them as they are. It's just that if I ever felt the need to improve it, would I be able to.

And they don't really tone suck very much at all do they.

• Members

Creates all kinds of problems with effects that you put after your wah, if you ask me... But then again, some people like it and claim it improves the sound even further, as stated:

"...this version of the Vox - known as the V847-A - ... does sound better than the stock GCB-95, but with a shrillness ... Personally, I believe that has a lot to do with the buffer stage, and would prefer mine without it."

I'm still not convinced that it's a good enough reason to remove buffer, but...

• Members

yeah i think most of mods that you would be able to do on a regular V847 or crybaby would be very hard or even impossible to do. I was planning on modding my V847A so i opened it up and looked inside and i found surface-mounted parts. {censored}! Those things would be a bitch to change out without the proper tools.

• Members

Creates all kinds of problems with effects that you put after your wah, if you ask me...

How? The buffer stage in the GCB-95 and V847-A is located on the input of the wah circuit, not the output. It isn't in any position to do anything to the sound of the next pedal in line.

The input buffer was added to raise the input impedance of the circuit, to make the bypass system steal a little less tone. Raising the input impedance will make the pedal's sound brighter (especially in a relatively low input impedance circuit like a wah). It wasn't there in the original Vox/Crybaby type pedals, and when you mod to true bypass, it is no longer needed. You can keep in in there if you want, but don't expect it to help the wah cut through a fuzz pedal or keep the next pedal in line more stable - with or without it, the wah's output stage looks the same.

/Andreas

• Members

yeah i think most of mods that you would be able to do on a regular V847 or crybaby would be very hard or even impossible to do. I was planning on modding my V847A so i opened it up and looked inside and i found surface-mounted parts. {censored}! Those things would be a bitch to change out without the proper tools.

Indeed. Even though it is entirely possible to mod a V847-A the same way you can a GCB-95, the SMT components makes the job much harder. It isn't at all impossible, only very tricky...

/Andreas

• Members

How? The buffer stage in the GCB-95 and V847-A is located on the input of the wah circuit, not the output. It isn't in any position to do anything to the sound of the next pedal in line.

The input buffer was added to raise the input impedance of the circuit, to make the bypass system steal a little less tone. Raising the input impedance will make the pedal's sound brighter (especially in a relatively low input impedance circuit like a wah). It wasn't there in the original Vox/Crybaby type pedals, and when you mod to true bypass, it is no longer needed. You can keep in in there if you want, but don't expect it to help the wah cut through a fuzz pedal or keep the next pedal in line more stable - with or without it, the wah's output stage looks the same.

/Andreas

This man knows what he is talking about. Whoever said the 847 couldn't be modded clearly doesn't. I performed a couple of the mods listed here and I was very pleased. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.castledine/greenfuz/wah.html

My bass player came over today and couldn't believe how good it sounded. He assumed I went out and bought some expessive re-issue wah.

• Members

This man knows what he is talking about. Whoever said the 847 couldn't be modded clearly doesn't. I performed a couple of the mods listed here and I was very pleased.

My bass player came over today and couldn't believe how good it sounded. He assumed I went out and bought some expessive re-issue wah.

Are you referring to the wah in the other thread (the one with the two blue LED's under the footpedal)? That's an older V847 - the earlier model without adapter jack and with normal-size components. The V847-A (new model with adapter jack) has SMT components, which are a bitch to work on, if you ask me.

/Andreas

Archived