Alesis ION vs. MICRON

• Members

Why didn't Alesis update the ION with the Micron functionality ... ???

I've always wanted an ION -- I was supposed to buy ChasIII's at one point years ago but the deal fell through. (Still, I think I may end up with one some day ... )

But then I went analog and VA lust pretty much went out the window ...

ONE OF THE MAIN THINGS I don't like about VAs is that most if not all sound quite unpleasant (compared with real analog) when tweaking params ... For me, that's at least half of the reason for having those knobs and sliders in the first place ...

• Members

I don't like about VAs is that most if not all sound quite unpleasant (compared with real analog) when tweaking params ... For me, that's at least half of the reason for having those knobs and sliders in the first place ...

I interupt this thread to bring you:

2572212824_49e0870b7a_o.jpg

*fap, fap, fap, fap*

• Members

Yeah, yeah, yeah ...

Can you believe ... ???

1) I don't really have any GAS for ALESIS Andromeda A6 (doesn't help that synth owner extradonaire Don Solaris just came out apparently against its filters, according to a report by Christian Rock ... Haven't seen the actual gearslutz thread ... )

2) Despite the plethora of knobs and buttons, I think it's quite an ugly synth ... and the blue/silver color scheme doesn't help my general impression it's a "cold" synth ... (Of which I already have one in the form of the exquisite Jupiter-6 ... )

3) Interface doesn't impress/call out to me ... (I much prefer sliders on a programmable synth ... hence JP-6 and Juno-6 ... )

4) As for actual sonics ... it seems the best thing the Andy does are ... PADS ... If I may be so bold ... So what ... ??? Every synth I have does nice pads in one form or another ... And pads can really mudd up a mix if you're not careful ...

5) It's an ... ALESIS ...

Despite that, I really do want to spend some time with one ... But I'd never buy one without doing that first ...

• Members

Yeah, yeah, yeah ...

Can you believe ... ???

1) I don't really have any GAS for ALESIS Andromeda A6 (doesn't help that synth owner extradonaire Don Solaris just came out apparently against its filters, according to a report by Christian Rock ... Haven't seen the actual gearslutz thread ... )

I am glad I am not the only one who DID NOT {censored} in my pants when I played the Andromeda. Someone said I was crazy when I said my Oberheim Matrix 1000 sounded better than the Andromeda. Hell I am not crazy when I say the filter on my MKS-50 sounds better than the Andromeda's.

• Members

Except that this is all subjective, it's all a matter of opinion...

Honestly, I'd still rather have an Andromeda than any VA.

Would I rather have a Jupiter 8 or a Prophet 5 Rev 3 though? Absolutely. But I can find a used A6 for 2000 dollars, and a JP8 would cost 3 times that. And I probably wouldn't have money to maintain it anyway. So when Don Solaris says "crap, it's not as good as my JP-8" it doesn't really bother me that much.

• Members

I must reiterate, I have not played one YET ... My mind could change completely upon that ...

However, from what I've heard, seen and read, I would never buy one without AT LEAST a cursory run through ...

I agree with C.R. that I'd rather have an Andy over most straight-up VAs (things change if the VA does something special a la V-Synth or combines different forms of synthesis). That said, most VAs are much less expensive than A6 as well as being easier to gig with ...

And don't forget about the biggest mistake Alesis made with Andromeda ...

NO GRAND PIANO PATCH ... :facepalm::wave:

• Members

I have no gas whatever for an Andy.....

Same here. I had one for a while and the work flow and sound just weren't that appealing. Not a bad synth, but for what I paid and the lack of over all enjoyment and connection it just wasn't worth it to me.

To the OP, get a micron or Ion, enjoy and stop worrying. No synth is perfect, just like no person is, but after a while you might grow fond of their quirks. Rest assured you can make great, unique and personal music with either, but if you're constantly overwhelmed by your options you'll never get a chance to grow with your instrument. Make an informed choice, take a decisive action, stick with it and make the music that moves you.

Also, treat yourself and get a well priced ESQ-1 to go along with whatever you get.

• Members

Obviously, the Micron came out after the ION, so it came with more FX (Alesis was surprised to find that players wanted FX) than the ION came with, and the programmable ARPS. I only use the ARPS on the ION on one of my classic rock songs I play live, although I do rely on them heavily for guitar strums and such things on my MOTIF ES8. I've always used external FX in my rack so the lack of FX on the ION, and the lack of programmable ARPS didn't make any difference to me when the Micron came out. For me, the ION fills the purpose I bought it, a second synth for live work at a reasonable price. Its sounds good, considering what I paid for it. I've never had any problem with it. The knobbage is a big plus for an old analog guy like me, although a VA will never sound quite as good as an RA, it still works well for what I do with it.

The guys are right, trying to tweak the Micron would be frustrating.

Mike T.

• Members

Link or it didn't happen
;)
I'd love to read that though, seriously. I'm trying to research this thing in a very unbiased fashion.

Actually this one:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/394444-june-new-gear-thread-3.html#post4275263

But reading the whole post, it doesn't look that negative towards Andromeda at all.

• Members

+2

I recommend trying it for a week before passing judgement on it. I had the GAS for it also awhile back until I kept it for two weeks and attempted to get good sounds out of it. It can do some good sounds...but nothing sounded special to me. Some synths have their specialty but the Andromeda, to me, falls under "jack of all trades, master of none".

Archived