yamaha np-30 piano

sirreal7

• Members

has anybody tried the new yamaha np-30 ? this little 76 note portable is only 12 pounds and includes a pair of stereo speakers . i have been looking around for a " bedroom piano " to practice with . the yamaha np-30 also runs on six aa batteries or an ac / dc adapter . the keyboard is not balanced , of course , because simulated hammers weigh too much . but yamaha claims that the piano keys still have a new kind of progressive resistance which is harder in the lower octaves and easier in the upper octaves . also this keyboard could make a good traveling " sketchpad piano " for a laptop rig .

still , i wish it was a full 88 keys . message to yamaha : please come out with a second sister model that has 88 keys .

i wonder how the yamaha np-30 - which is $ 299 street price - compares to the m audio prokeys 88sx . the m audio was my other choice for a " bedroom piano " and it does have all 88 keys but no onboard monitors .

decisions , decisions :confused:

• Members

I was thinking about the ProKeys 88SX, too, but went for a used SP-76 from Kurzweil instead. I found 76 keys a very good compromise for a portable keyboard and I was a little concerned about so much plastic on a keyboard :)

However, for THAT price the Yamaha will be hard to beat, won't it?

• Members

andi ,

the kurzweil sp76 , sp88 , and sp88sx all look very cool on the kurzweil website .

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/products.html?Id=356

however , they also look a bit more ' pro equipped ' than i had in mind for a set of keys to simply lay across my lap and practice scales while watching ' i love lucy ' reruns . not to mention that the kurzweil sp76 is more pricey than the yamaha np-30 . i have no doubts that the kurzweil sp76 is a much more substantial piano .

but it is interesting that you actually preferred 76 keys over 88 keys when choosing a portable board . i already have my ' real piano ' ( a yamaha ydp-323 ) with the full 88 , so maybe 76 will be a good size for just kicking back and pretending to practice . :cool:

Archived