Can someone educate me on the Rat?

• Members

Looking at the pedal boards of my favourite bands they all seem to use Proco Rats. I assume that these are are vintage and not new, so can someone tell me about differences between models?

And also, roughly how much the different versions are worth?

Thanks

• Members

I'm sure there are plenty of folks here who can provide more detail, but I'll just state upfront that I have a Vintage Rat (large-box) which I absolutely love! This model was made from 1991-2005, and you can still find them on eBay hopefully for under $100. Older RATs from the late 70s-80s will cost you more.

Here's a brief history: http://www.ratdistortion.com/history.htm

I use it to play anything from 70s style punk (Dead Boys, Ramones, et al.) to 80s alternative (Pixies, Husker Du, Jesus & Mary Chain, etc) to alt-country and sounds great for all.

Highly recommended!

• Members

The biggest difference between a 'vintage' & new one is the coveted LM308n chip.

Older Rat models usually run up to a $120US or so and the current Rat2 (small box with red LED) are around $80-90US.

The chip can be bought on several sites and there are a lot of modders out there who can turn a new Rat into a 'vintage' one rather quickly.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Oh, yeah. Let me add that I also had a Keeley-modded RAT II and at first I really liked it and then I didn't. It was good for a crisp, full distortion sound, but it seemed to lose some of its "fuzziness" which is what is really good about the RAT in the first place. At least to my sonically damaged ears...

• Members

Oh, yeah. Let me add that I also had a Keeley-modded RAT II and at first I really liked it and then I didn't. It was good for a crisp, full distortion sound, but it seemed to lose some of its "fuzziness" which is what is really good about the RAT in the first place. At least to my sonically damaged ears...

Did you get the 3-way mod? I did for my Turbo Rat and love it.

• Members

i got a small box rat, 80s (assuming it's early, i've dated the serial number before), and I got it for a steal at guitar center. I'm pretty sure they thought it was a RAT II, but I noticed it right away, told them I'd buy it for $50 instead of the 55 and they gave it a go. Haven't let go of it since.

There are some things I wish it could do a bit better, but I'll always love the low OD drive settings on it.

• Members

I've been abusing my Rat 2 for about 20 years (OMG is it really that long!!!),fantastic natural distortion, not too much fizziness unless you really crank the gain up.
However my on/off switch is very tempremental now, sometimes it goes on fine, other times no sound at all...lots of frantic hitting till it kicks in.
Does anyone know if I can replace the on/off button,and if so what kind of switch do I need?

• Members

I've been abusing my Rat 2 for about 20 years (OMG is it really that long!!!),fantastic natural distortion, not too much fizziness unless you really crank the gain up.

However my on/off switch is very tempremental now, sometimes it goes on fine, other times no sound at all...lots of frantic hitting till it kicks in.

Does anyone know if I can replace the on/off button,and if so what kind of switch do I need?

Mine does the same thing.

• Members

The larger box Rat was the first distortion pedal that i got and it is totally mostly for the sound of the bands i wanted to sound like when i got it(Older Smashing Pumpkins, older Weezer, My Bloody Valentine, etc...) It gives out a pretty dirty 90's rock distortion, but it can also be used to just color an amp's gain and give it a little extra oomph.

I like them, but i dont use it much anymore, prefer my amp's gain and a tube screamer as a boost.

• Members

the same thing happened with my early-90s Rat 2.
i replaced the switch in mine without any problems with one of these:

Xwing.jpg
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=24

• Members

The Rat is the answer. I had the Vintage Rat reissue, now I have a Rat II with the LM90210 chip (or whatever it's called). The Rat II is a bit more compressed, but sounds good, whereas the VR is fatter, dirtier.

Still excellent distortion. Check out that dude on youtube who tests the Rat and plays the "Airbag" riff. I can confirm that it gives the same sound.

Archived