EHX Stereo Pulsar OR SD Shape Shifter??

• Members

I'm looking for a tremolo pedal and can't decide whether I should spend the extra on the shape-shfter. It looks like a cool, well-thought out pedal with lots of options but I suspect I'll end up leaving it on a vintage-y sounding setting and leaving well alone.

The tap feature sounds like a selling point but having changed my delay from a Line 6 Dl4 to a Danecho and not missing the tap feature at all I don't think I'd miss it - unless any of you seasoned trem users are telling me its vital?!

So, on the basis that I'll probably find a favourite setting and leave it, is there anything else that justifies the extra money on the shape-shifter over the Pulsar - e.g. sound quality, reliability etc??

Cheers,

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

one thing to keep in mind with tap tempo on devices like phasers, flange and tremolo is that it is virtually impossible to tap in the correct time. with delay, its easy enough to get it close enough that noone can tell.

example=your song is at 120 bpm. you tap in 119 bpm (a very realistic approximation accounting for human error). If this was a delay pedal, each delay would get a little off, but when you picked a new note, a new delay would start and then progressively get more and more off tempo. seeing as the delay only generates when you pluck a note, this does not make for totally erroneous tap tempo issues.

Same scenario with tap tempo tremolo=since the rate of the trem is constant, it does not regenerate with each note plucked. basically, if you tap in 119 when the bpm is 120, you will be off by one whole beat per minute.

I still have a tap tempo tremolo (tc nova mod) but i only use to to approximate. If the song calls for spastic trems, i will just tap the trem wildly to get it to be fast. Its worthless to try and get it in beat.

• Members

I love the Stereo Pulsar. It's a really versatile pedal. Although I usually just use a classic trem, the variable wave shape feature can make your instrument sound like it's swirling around your room from a 12 foot Leslie speaker. Or hurtling thru space like a flying saucer. A totally perfect pedal if you run anything in stereo. On mild settings, it will give your rhythm parts a nice motion. You'll be tempted never to play in mono again. Its highly addictive and a great buy. I think I paid $75 for mine from Sam Ash. Somebody special ordered it and never claimed it. I saw it in the display case and had to have it. Along with a nice phaser and overdrive, its probably my favorite pedal. Go for it!

Archived