Delay as a reverb substitute

tronus

• Members

Hey all,

I've always used a touch of reverb on my amp. Well I got a new amp without reverb. Lately I've been using my delay(with a high cut mod) set to a reverb like setting. Heres the settings(Im at work right now without my pedal in front of me)

DD6 Settings(reverbish)

Time knob: 80ms (Adjusted to taste; To create a "certain sized space")

Feedback knob: 2 o'clock or straight up at 12 o'clock

Level: Enough to create space, but not enough to here(too clearly, that is) the actual delayed repeats individualy.

I found I really like this, because I noticed now(this is my opinion here), reverb takes a little of the umph away from the main sound when in blends the echo back in with the signal. The delay keeps the dry signal there but sends a little echo in behind it. The thing I'm wondering is the tap tempo. Theres no way I could tap my foot that fast. Does setting a relatively fast time (below 80ms) negate the nessecity for tapping in the tempo? I dont set the delay very high. Just a touch of space is all I want. I used to leave reverb on all the time at a lower setting(just enought to hear it). Could I do that with this? Should I just by a reverb pedal?

Thanks for your time everyone.

• Members

Yes, I ended up using an old analog delay and selling my Verbzilla.

Using the delay that fast and subtle does make tap tempo pretty much useless. I use two delays. A lot of people do. One set shorter. One set longer.

I didn't like digital delays for the slapback so I purchased and used the reverb pedal for a while. I found out I preferred analog delay. It was more versatile for my use. That being said, I like my SIB Mr. Echo for longer delay times. It does a nice simulation of an analog like sound.

• Members

I always want reverb but I recently bought a DLS Echo Tap and even when used at standard (non slapback) delay settings like 375ms, it seems to add a reverb-like ambience that sounds excellent.

I still use rack reverb with my main setup but this gives me a great alternative if I'm just having a quick jam on a combo or something.

• Members

Yes, I ended up using an old analog delay and selling my Verbzilla.

Using the delay that fast and subtle does make tap tempo pretty much useless. I use two delays. A lot of people do. One set shorter. One set longer.

I didn't like digital delays for the slapback so I purchased and used the reverb pedal for a while. I found out I preferred analog delay. It was more versatile for my use. That being said, I like my SIB Mr. Echo for longer delay times. It does a nice simulation of an analog like sound.

Awesome, thanks for the response. I'm gonna start looking into some analog delays today. I guess I dont need anything featureful. Any suggestions anybody?

• Members

Would the Malekko Echo 300 dark make a good delay for reverbish use? Theres no reviews on here for me to read. I'll do some more googling in the mean time.

the E300D does a great quasi reverb..i think there are some examples on our site

Archived