Best value germanium treble boost

• Members

I'm in the market for a treble boost....why are these things so expensive? They seem simple.

Must be germanium, as I want something that will clean up nicely. Should I look for certain transistors?

I don't require any special features like mid or full range boost.

• Members

I'm in the market for a treble boost....why are these things so expensive? They seem simple.

Must be germanium, as I want something that will clean up nicely. Should I look for certain transistors?

I don't require any special features like mid or full range boost.

I like my Dice-o-matic from Dice Works. You can contact the seller on ebay. New ones cost about 100, but if you are lucky like me, you can get them for less used. You have knobs for volume and gain, and switches to boost frequency and the other increases the fuzz. I have mine set where there is no fuzz, just a great clean boost of the upper frequency.

• Members

I think that the guy that makes the HBE's said in an interview that he can't even hear the difference between the two models HIMSELF! Now, that's honest! And then he goes on to say that some picky people do... If got the "normal" version and it sounds great, and I thik that now it comes with more switches and options.

• Members

Anyone have experience with the more expensive transistor they offer? Is it worth it?

AFAIK the mullard transistor (oc44?) is a bit smoother with less gain. However, that's just from what I've HEARS as I've never tried the more expensive version. The run-of-the-mill Germania is probably still my favorite dirt pedal, though.

Archived