Single stomp boxes limit you live?

uz3r

• Members

Yo... Im contemplating the move from pedal board to individual effects. I have almost sold myself on the idea with the exception that I cant seem to come to terms with the fact that (lets say I buy a Boss DD delay pedal) I can only dial in one delay and that all I can use live!?

With a pedal board I could have a light 'airy' delay on one patch then a massive reverse delay on the next, but I can't do this with an individual delay pedal (unless I want to get on my hands and knees onstage).

How do you guys deal with this situation or do you individial pedal guys simply deal with the fact thats all you have to work with?

Im really fond of moving to individual pedals but this is the main thing turning me off.

• Members

what do you mean by pedalboard? are you using a multi-effects unit or something? or is that the thing for racks?

the situation you're talking about can be handled with delay pedals that have presets(line6 DL-4,Boss DD-20,TC Nova Delay,etc..).

If I were you, I would just use 2 delay pedals with different settings though.

more delay pedals = more fun

• Members
what do you mean by pedalboard? are you using a multi-effects unit or something? or is that the thing for racks?

the situation you're talking about can be handled with delay pedals that have presets(line6 DL-4,Boss DD-20,TC Nova Delay,etc..).

If I were you, I would just use 2 delay pedals with different settings though.

more delay pedals = more fun

Sorry, yeah I meant multi effects board.

Ok I understand... I guess I didnt think about downsizing from one big present ridden unit to smaller specialized preset unit. My main concern is definitely with delay, where one setting/pre-set is not enough. - I was really keen on the DD7 though :cry: But at the same time I dont really have the money to buy two delay pedals.... so I guess I will look at the DD20 and DL4 type units!

• Members

Is adjusting pedals on the fly really such an issue for you? I do so as if i didn't i would need about 5 phasers, 3 trem pedals etc, either that or a multieffects unit that required me to set up 4 or 5 presets per song...

• Members

I'd thoroughly recommend spending more on a decent programmable delay pedal to start. DD20 is a good choice if you're a Boss fan. But now there's a Nova Delay, and a Timefactor if you're rich. Delay is the only effect you need presets for really because it has the widest range of sounds.

• Members

Well if you need multiple delay sounds for one song, you'd have to go with delays with presets, that why the DL4 is so popular. But, otherwise its very easy to change the settings on pedals from song to song.

As far as my effects use go, I pretty much use them for a certain vibe or a sound to color what I am playing, more so than a necessity to make what I'm playing sound good. I really only mess with maybe 3 or 4 knobs on all my effects pedals. mostly tremolo speed and intensity, and delay repeats/time

Archived