Recommend me a Waitsian Fuzz!

• Members

I've decided to get my first real fuzz tone. I've tried a few (I use humbuckers and Single Coils), but I generally get blurr or buzz. I want something with a good bass and that can clunk and chunk with like a grouchy old steam ship when required. I almost bought the GI that was up for grabs on the euro board the other day (and am regretting every second of not doing so!).

Any recommendations? My budget's pretty tight (zvex is out of the question right now). I'm also considering making one, I've got two crappy old distortion units that I'm thinking of pulling apart, so any build recommendations would be great too.

Ta.

• Members

Yeah it just means like some of the tom Wait stuff. Sorry to sound confusing or criptic, I'm just not sure how else to describe it.

Like a fat fuzz I can use for rhythm, with a good chunky sound that catches my attack too, rather than blurry mud. Sorry, making little sense here.

I can't find a decent clip of what I have in mind, Mr Waits is so protective of what's up for grabs online, but it's kinda like a meatier version of the link below. If anyone know's the song 2:19?

[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF3YQ5WajJk]

• Members

Many thanks, but I didn't mean Ribot (although I adore his tone, style, innovation). I tried a rat and didn't fancy it much. I use a graphic fuzz and can get all manner of distortions from it, but the Fuzz just isn't as fuzz as fuzz does. The muff sounds too cloudy for me. Argh, don't you hate it when you can't quite put it in words? I guess I just want full flavoured fuzz with a good meaty humm of a bass and a klunky, clangy top end, more junkyard percussive than some of the fizzes I've been finding. I'm talking chords here rather than lead. Did I say talking? I mean blabbering incoherently..... :freak:

• Members

Howza bout you give us an example of a song or link to a clip that has the tone that you're looking for, or at least approximates it?

And a description of your setup? "16 Shells From A 30.06" sound would be hard to replicate without "all-mids" guitar run through something with an ominous bass response.

In the meantime, try building yourself a Triangle Big Muff, you won't be disappointed, I promise. It's very clear and transparent, yet nicely heavy.

• Members

Sure,

I'm running an SG replica with Tom Holmes PAFs > Graphic Fuzz > Bad Monkey > '68 Fender Pro Reverb. I've got a small stone, Wasabi Delay, Wah and CS3 compressor but I don't think they'll be needed in this venture.

I'll look into that triangle muff right now, thanks!

Archived