Any love for the Boss MetalCore?

• Members

I heard a demo the other day, and was actually pleasantly surprised. It sounds hugely better than the Metal Zone, to my ears - A good bass and treble response; It doesn't sound (nearly as) nasal and tinny as the Metal Zone. Tighter and clearer sounding, and less noisy too. It might be worth a try. What amp would you be using it with?

:thu:

• Members

you mean the old boss heavy metal pedal??

its kindof almost spot on the the heavy metal but.....different sounding
:idk:
its hard to explain

im thinking about grabbing one just to try it out since sometimes the heavy metal can get really buzzsaw like

• Members

Yeah please remove it, you're ruining my thread :cop:

btw did you get my question? I was asking him if he was referring to the Heavy Metal pedal by Boss, you know there was one... I don't get why you added that stupid photo. :)

Damn thats a huge picture

• Members

I plan to make a 100% non-tube setup, so I was thinking of using an SS amp. if I am going to use a tube amp, I might as well use the tube distortion ;) (with maybe some OD pedal).

I heard a demo the other day, and was actually pleasantly surprised. It sounds hugely better than the Metal Zone, to my ears - A good bass and treble response; It doesn't sound (nearly as) nasal and tinny as the Metal Zone. Tighter and clearer sounding, and less noisy too. It might be worth a try. What amp would you be using it with?

• Members

I plan to make a 100% non-tube setup, so I was thinking of using an SS amp. if I am going to use a tube amp, I might as well use the tube distortion
;)
(with maybe some OD pedal).

True. I think it could have potential with a tube amp though (I might try it, for lack of any serious overdrive on my current amp).

• Members

this pedal was much quieter than i expected. thats the only thing that really stood out to me. other than that IMO it sounded like most other metal pedals like the mega distortion. mega distortion is wicked noisy.

• Members

Going to try to avoid stepping in the poop about tube vs. SS and get right to the question - no, that pedal {censored}ing blows. It's really bad. Really, really bad. If you want to buy a digital pedal, buy the Digitech Metal Master. Seriously, blows the Metalcore away and doesn't try to pull the wool over your eyes about the fact that it's digital either. Edit to clarify: The Metalcore is a digital pedal, though they don't mention that in the ad copy. ;)

If you want an awesome analog high gain pedal, either the Zoom Tri-Metal or the EHX Metal Muff (full size) with a Dan-o Fish n' Chips EQ after it for better tone shaping would be great. I actually love my Danelectro Fab-Tone with a Dan-o EQ after it into my Randall RG120PH (late 1970s 1x15 SS closed back combo), but it takes a special amp to work with that ugly monster of a pedal (trivia: it's actually the MT-2 Metalzone clipping circuit with totally different input and tone shaping circuitry, turns it into a completely different pedal).

(ps: trivia2 - the afore-recommended Metal Muff is the Digitech Grunge with the same treatment, totally different input and tone shaping to turn a crappy pedal into an awesome one. It should come as no surprise if you understand anything about dirt circuits, though, that drastically changing the signal going into a clipping "engine" can completely reshape the output too :))

• Members
Going to try to avoid stepping in the poop about tube vs. SS and get right to the question - no, that pedal {censored}ing blows. It's really bad. Really, really bad. If you want to buy a digital pedal, buy the Digitech Metal Master. Seriously, blows the Metalcore away and doesn't try to pull the wool over your eyes about the fact that it's digital either.

If you want an awesome analog high gain pedal, either the Zoom Tri-Metal or the EHX Metal Muff (full size) with a Dan-o Fish n' Chips EQ after it for better tone shaping would be great. I actually love my Danelectro Fab-Tone with a Dan-o EQ after it into my Randall RG120PH (late 1970s 1x15 SS closed back combo), but it takes a special amp to work with that ugly monster of a pedal (trivia: it's actually the MT-2 Metalzone clipping circuit with totally different input and tone shaping circuitry, turns it into a completely different pedal).

(ps: trivia2 - the afore-recommended Metal Muff is the Digitech Grunge with the same treatment, totally different input and tone shaping to turn a crappy pedal into an awesome one. It should come as no surprise if you understand anything about dirt circuits, though, that drastically changing the signal going into a clipping "engine" can completely reshape the output too
:)
)

the man knows his dirt:thu:but i liked the metal muff even without an eq after:thu:

Archived