Filter Pedals without envelope

• Members

Is there such a thing - besides the Frostwave MS-20 clone or Moog MF-101.

Pedal sized filters is totally possible...wondering why I can't find any that don't sweep. What if I just wanted a muffled tone with resonance. I don't want to use a graphic EQ.

Any ideas?

• Members

hm, maybe roll of your guitar's tone control, and use a parametric EQ to dial in the resonance? something like the catalinbread varioboost would probably do it.

I don't play guitar. I play a Sidrassi Organ. I run my instrument through effects pedals, because it makes awesome sounds through them.

I also have a parametric EQ. The resonance on that is very weak - definitely not a synth filter.

• Members

I love the Moog filter - but I don't want to sound like a Moog - my instrument is far more unique than a Moog synth, in my opinion. I'd just like some other options. Everybody has Moog and Korg MS-20 filter sounds. I was just wondering if there are any others out there in pedal form - especially if they are getting small like the MXR boxes, etc.

I am seriously considering the XO Bass Microsynth. Now that I know it can disengage/lessen the effect of the envelope, that makes it much more useful to me.

• Members

I've seen a couple of "lo-fi" filters, the Ibanez LF7, thesyle atom and something called the radio havana that I forget who makes. There's bound to be a few more out there too but if you're looking for that sort of muffled sound that might be a place to start.

Edit: Heavy Electronics makes the Radio Havana

• Members
Ever mess with a ring mod? That might get some of the tones you're looking for.

Well, yeah, I mess with ring-mod - but ring mod is not a filter, not in any way, shape or form - it's actually either an oscillator that modulates audio put through the device, creating sum and difference tones of the oscillator and source audio

OR

A device will allow you to run two audio streams together and have them modulate each other, for the same effect, but without an internal oscillator - thusly being passive. In that form, it's more interesting, but still not a filter. It's not subtracting from the sound. That's what filters do. Like EQ, but with resonance and steeper curves.

Also, the Sidrassi Organ creates both ring and FM tones by itself by messing with the nodes on the side - I don't need a ring mod. :D

• Members
Definitely the strangest instrument I've seen in a while. Very cool.
:eek:

siidra.jpg

Thanks man! I love mine - it's actually replaced my modular synth and other keyboards as my main axe. I keep recommending it to other people - especially non-keyboard players - but it's price/design is often off-putting for most people.

I figured this would be the place to ask about filter pedals, the noise boards are often filled with fuzz and feedback loop pedal suggestions, but other than the Sherman Filterbank (totally NOT a pedal) or the others mentioned above, I get little info. I have never heard of Heavy Electronics before (see above).

• Members

Waldorf made a filter module, the 4-Pole. I don't know if they're made anymore but I'm sure they can be found on ebay.

There is more to the sound of a Moog or Korg synth that the filter. the oscillators have a pretty big part in it as well.

• Members

Thanks man! I love mine - it's actually replaced my modular synth and other keyboards as my main axe. I keep recommending it to other people - especially non-keyboard players - but it's price/design is often off-putting for most people.

I figured this would be the place to ask about filter pedals, the noise boards are often filled with fuzz and feedback loop pedal suggestions, but other than the Sherman Filterbank (totally NOT a pedal) or the others mentioned above, I get little info. I have never heard of Heavy Electronics before (see above).

Definitely very cool! I can see how it would be all kinds of good times with pedals. :eek:

Another place you might ask is over in the DIY forum. I would think somebody could just build you what you want or at least point you towards some schematics and layouts for some filter projects.

• Members

I'd never either until I saw the pedal for sale on some website. It looked interesting with the built in sag feature, so I looked it up and found few but decent reviews. I wasn't sure if that was the sort of stuff you were looking for but it was what came to mind.

Archived