looking for amp for fender rhodes

AsAbove

• Members

a twin reverb is a little out of my price range, and i am a little hesitant about the JC-120.

I want a guitar amp so i can get great distortion and reverb, vibrato if possible but i can do that with a pedal, but the guitar amp should probably be 12" speakers to handle the low notes.

any suggestions?

thanks.

• Members

thanks. i played a hot rod deluxe, but the bass notes didn't sound great. do certain ones have 10" speakers and others 12"? This might have been a 12". I have been thinking about trying to get a hot rod deville 212, because you can stumble across good deals on them.

• Members

Yeah they can either be 2x12 or 4x10. I prefer the Deville to the Deluxe.

Not sure if anyone's used it for Rhodes and has any feedback, but the Peavey Classic 30 and 50 get great marks for affordable, high quality, great sounding tube guitar amps.

• Members

... i am a little hesitant about the JC-120.

any suggestions?

thanks.

Why? I reckon its a great solution and pretty affordable if you get a used one. You get good reverb and vibrato but would need atube pre or an overdrive pedal. I personally use a hotcake pedal with my Wurly.

• Members

Budget Choices:

try

(Gibson/Moog) Lab Series L5 (transistor but warm)

Peavey Transtube 212 (great clean sound!)

Roland JC77, JC85 (do you need all the power of a 120?)

70s Music Man amps

I use a Fender Bassman 50 "Silverface" which you can get for around 250eurs, but that is a top so you need a Box (I got a Traynor 2x12 closed back with Celestions in it, 350eurs). Note that it has -no- features and no verb!

a tip: a Rhodes can sound wicked through DI already when you have it set up correctly. This will also cost 250eurs but it is a great investment and it will save you from buying 15 amps until you find the "right sound" as the right sound is in the piano already! I have to admit I only use the Fender live, at home I always play through my studio monitors, or my little AER jam-amp

• Members

Not sure if anyone's used it for Rhodes and has any feedback, but the Peavey Classic 30 and 50 get great marks for affordable, high quality, great sounding tube guitar amps.

I'm actually surprised that I haven't seen many people using them with electric pianos. I think a Classic 50 would sound amazing.

• Members

Rhodes use to use a Twin Reverb to test Rhodes pianos in the early days. If you like that sound and can't afford a new one, how about Ebay? Have you searched some of the music forum for sale ads? HC has a good one, and musicplayer.com has one. And then there's Craig List.

Mike T.

• Members

yes, i've checked harmony central classifieds, ebay, and craigslist.

thanks for the suggestions. i'd really like to find an affordable Hot Rod Deville, but i guess finding a good price on a Roland JC would be great too.

• Members

my rhodes sounds great through my hifi without any EQ or alterations... I have no iea why because my previous rhodes never sounded so good. Based on this assumption I can imagine its gonna sound pretty good though my HK Audio PA system with little alteration too...

I am however tempted to purchase a real small fender Champ valve amp at some stage and then mic it to hear what it sounds like overdriven.. I've heard a few records that used this and I thought they sounded great...

• Members

my rhodes sounds great through my hifi without any EQ or alterations... I have no iea why because my previous rhodes never sounded so good. Based on this assumption I can imagine its gonna sound pretty good though my HK Audio PA system with little alteration too...

I am however tempted to purchase a real small fender Champ valve amp at some stage and then mic it to hear what it sounds like overdriven.. I've heard a few records that used this and I thought they sounded great...

I would think a champ wouldnt be enough amp to be running a rhodes though. A single 15 or a couple 12s or a powered 15 in PA speaker with a horn would be more like it. I had a rhodes 88. It took a pretty decent sized amp to handle it in a gig situation . rat

• Members

I would think a champ wouldnt be enough amp to be running a rhodes though. A single 15 or a couple 12s or a powered 15 in PA speaker with a horn would be more like it. I had a rhodes 88. It took a pretty decent sized amp to handle it in a gig situation . rat

I meant just as a sound source for mic-ing up into a PA rather than a monitor per se.

Archived