Wondering what kind of delay to get

alkaiser

• Members

i was wondering what kind of delay pedal i should get

currently i have a jcm 800 2204 with a keeley ts-9 and boss tu-2

since the jcm has no effects loop, i was wondering what are some good delays similar to the dmm

i'm pretty new to effects, but i've been dying for a delay ^_^

• Members

DMM is analogue and gets a lot of love around here. If slightly dark muddier sounding analogue delay is your flavour then your best bet is a MXR Carbon Copy, really good bang for buck..with added modulation.

If you want sparkly clean repeats that are identical to the original, then you want digital; and to be honest here, most people favour BOSS (DD-5, 6 or 7 or DD-20) or you could go for a Line 6 echo park which gets good mark.

The next step is Delay processors, which the dd-20 kinda balances on the brink of. These give you more tonal options and more tweakbility, so we're talking Eventide timefactor and TC electronic NOVA delay. these are more expensive digital delays, but they have Tape delay and analogue simulators in there too. They're more expensive and may take more time to tweak to your liking, but they're supposed to be the business.

Hope I helped :wave:

• Members

I use the 2X12 combo version of the 2204 and I use a DMM. Sounds great, however with effects I generally play on the low input so the amp stays clean, and put my distortion before delay. To me the DMM doesn't sound very good into a dirty amp, but then again, I've never found a delay that does work in that application without getting muddy.

• Members

Ive got a JCM800 2203 and use a Jacques Prisoner delay. I use the high input and the Jacques sits well with distortion, although you need to keep the level down abit (which really would apply to any delay plugged in the front end of any distored amp). The modulation on the Jacques is far better than the carbon copy (Ive owned both)......

• Members

Since your budget has alot to do with your choice:

I have to recommend the Marshall Echohead:idea:, since you are new to delays this delay is well priced, well built, doesn't suck tone, 2 seconds of delay time and has 6 different modes for you to check out before you choose to upgrade or not (and IMHO i think the analogue & tape echo modes sound better than those on my DD20)

But the best feature has to be the tap tempo output, buy yourself a Boss FS5U & save a load of hassle fiddling with knobs between songs. Make sure you run the Echohead with a power supply though, I've heard it has issues with batteries. I always use a power supply with mine and I've had no problems at all. Seriously underrated and overlooked pedal! :thu:

eh1featurenew.jpg

• Members

Hope I helped
:wave:

HI . . .

. . . i am looking into the Carbon Copy right now !

Have you tested one ?

I am looking for a very retro tape echo voiced delay !

I have a DE7, but is looking for a second (and darker) delay !

Is the Carbon Copy darker than a DMM ???

ANY INFO VERY WELCOME !

Thanx

:thu:

Archived