A/B Box Squeal

tocs100

• Members

My guitarist has two Behringer V-Tone amps that he's switching between clean and dirty. He's tried two A/B boxes though (Whirlwind & Boss), and they both are feeding back (not just squeal, but roar too :confused:) on the dirty amp.

I'm thinking these A/B boxes are missing buffers (and probably tie-down resistors too), so the output is bleeding back into the input, creating a loop. I suggested he try Boss' LS-2 Line Selector.

Any ideas/advice?

• Members

If the dirty amp is squealing when the clean amp is activated, chances are the A/B box doesn't shunt the unused output to ground. That leaves the input to the dirty amp hanging, much the same way as when you accidentally unplug the cable at the guitar end.

Try plugging straight into the dirty amp, and turn down the guitar volume (shorting the input to ground). If the amp still squeals, the problem is in the amp (possibly a microphonic preamp tube). If not, turn the guitar volume up. If it starts squealing now, the pickups may be microphonic. If it still doesn't squeal, the problem is definitely in the A/B box.

/Andreas

• Members

If the dirty amp is squealing when the clean amp is activated, chances are the A/B box doesn't shunt the unused output to ground. That leaves the input to the dirty amp hanging, much the same way as when you accidentally unplug the cable at the guitar end.

Try plugging straight into the dirty amp....

Straight into the solid-state, dirty amp is fine. I think you hit it with the grounding problem. Thanks everyone. :wave:

Archived