Is it possible to fix this speaker?

• Members

A friend of mine sold me a 2 x 15 sunn bass cab for cheap because it wasn't working.

I figured out where the problem is. One speaker works just fine. The other one has a loose connection within the speaker. I can kind of wiggle it around and the sound cuts in and out. Is it possible for me to resolder something in there or have someone do it, or do I have to buy a new speaker all together?

• Members

If you can actually see where the break is then you can probably fix it without screwing anything up. If it's in one of the wires leading from the lug to the cone then just make sure there's plenty of slack in the wire after you make the repair. If it's in the wire after it passes through the cone and heads down into the dust cap then make sure you bond the wire to the cone after repairing it. A little black fingernail polish will work dandy for this.

I remember when Sunn speakers were guaranteed for life. If you ever blew one out, they'd replace it for free - forever! I miss those days! :cry:

• Members
If you can actually see where the break is then you can probably fix it without screwing anything up. If it's in one of the wires leading from the lug to the cone then just make sure there's plenty of slack in the wire
after
you make the repair. If it's in the wire
after
it passes through the cone and heads down into the dust cap then make sure you bond the wire to the cone after repairing it. A little black fingernail polish will work dandy for this.

I remember when Sunn speakers were guaranteed for life. If you ever blew one out, they'd replace it for free - forever! I miss those days!
:cry:

Awesome. Thank you. It seems the problem area is right under the little cardboard (or whatever) piece.

Archived