EHX Tube EQ question

• Members

After getting the Wiggler, I am in love with the tube sound that is adds to everything. I was thinking of trading in my Boss EQ-20 for a EHX Tube EQ instead, but is it the same effect? I know you can control the bass and treble as well as the bandpass knob. But can it serve as an EQ pedal in the same way?

I couldn't really find much searching, and I don't know much about EQ.

• Members

I did see that video, but I can never tell with demos. They always show the basics and never what I would use it for.

As far as what I'd use it for, right now the only reason I use the EQ-20 is to shape my guitar tone (obviously, that's what EQ is for). But I don't play guitar that much, and I'm trying to get something that I could use more for other things (like keyboards, drums, etc). So if I can just get by with it being able to do what I use my pedal for now, then I'd much rather get the Tube EQ and have more use out of it.

• Members

I just bought the EHX Tube EQ about a month ago. I've been experimenting with it a bit in the last week.

On the upside, it really beefs up your tone a lot, but it can't boost what isn't already there in your pups. For example, my Gretsch's humbuckers have really lousy fidelity in the 1kHz and above range. The Tube EQ is not going to change that. What it will do is accentuate the sweet spots in your pups, and give it more oomph.

On the downside, my unit has a faint buzz noise that is noticeable when playing clean. It doesn't go away no matter how I set the knobs. I've tried opening it up and moving the power lines away from the circuit board. That helped a little, but not entirely. I've tried moving the box around in the signal chain. I found it to be least noisy toward the end of the chain - after delay and reverb. I've tried tightening the middle screw that tightens the circuit board to the enclosure. That didn't help. I've also tried switching out the tubes. That didn't help either.

The noise isn't dramatic, and certainly not enough to get rid of the box, but it's enough to make me think that it might be something that can be fixed. I'd be curious if anyone else has noticed it. Maybe it's just symptomatic of the added tube gain. I don't know.

• Members

I just bought the EHX Tube EQ about a month ago. I've been experimenting with it a bit in the last week.

On the upside, it really beefs up your tone a lot, but it can't boost what isn't already there in your pups. For example, my Gretsch's humbuckers have really lousy fidelity in the 1kHz and above range. The Tube EQ is not going to change that. What it will do is accentuate the sweet spots in your pups, and give it more oomph.

On the downside, my unit has a faint buzz noise that is noticeable when playing clean. It doesn't go away no matter how I set the knobs. I've tried opening it up and moving the power lines away from the circuit board. That helped a little, but not entirely. I've tried moving the box around in the signal chain. I found it to be least noisy toward the end of the chain - after delay and reverb. I've tried tightening the middle screw that tightens the circuit board to the enclosure. That didn't help. I've also tried switching out the tubes. That didn't help either.

The noise isn't dramatic, and certainly not enough to get rid of the box, but it's enough to make me think that it might be something that can be fixed. I'd be curious if anyone else has noticed it. Maybe it's just symptomatic of the added tube gain. I don't know.

I have the same problem with the Wiggler. I think it's just the tubes but I'm not entirely sure. It's not bad enough to make me want to open it up and mess with it, but maybe I'm just being lazy :).

Thanks for the help. I'm definitely interested in the pedal, but I think it's safe to stick with the graphic EQ for what I use it for now. Maybe I'll look for a different pedal, but I'm not so sure parametric will cut it.

• Members

Just wondering, if the Tube EQ uses a bandpass filter, isn't that the same as a wah pedal? And since it has an expression pedal input, could this be used as a wah pedal?

It sounded Wah-like in the EHX video demo, but I didn't think it could replace a wah.

• Members

Just wondering, if the Tube EQ uses a bandpass filter, isn't that the same as a wah pedal? And since it has an expression pedal input, could this be used as a wah pedal?

Yes, the expression input can be used for wah-like sounds; but I agree with Caeser, that it doesn't replace a traditional wah. It's a unique filter sweep that would work great for synth-like textures. I think the expression input would be most useful for soloing live - use the pedal to find the sweet spot in the mix, and cock it there.

Archived