zoom 7.1ut

goatman

• Members

I went from the 2.1u to the G9.2tt, and I really recommend going whole-hog. The extra models on the G9.2tt are all very high quality, from the amps to the stompboxes, and the effects complement and deeper parameter access (not to mention the additional expression pedal and further tube integration) make me question why anyone would buy the G7.1ut. The difference in price is more than justified, in my opinion.

• Members

For additional control. Most of the time, I use the one on the left for its default function - global volume pedal, and the one on the right (Z-pedal) for parameter control. That alone is a huge advantage over the G7.1ut, because it's really goddamned handy to have a volume pedal all the time and you'll use it a lot more than you think you would. But it's also incredibly useful if you want to have a wah pedal on its own and also have parameter control over your other effects, for example.

If you're not creative enough to see a whole lot of possibilities with an extra expression pedal, maybe you ought to stick with the G2.1u ;) Think about dedicated stomp boxes and effects pedals, and how awesome it would be to be able to control their parameters in realtime - the G9.2tt actually lets you do that, with three expression pedals (two vertical, and the horizontal axis on the Z-pedal) with four assigns per pedal, each assignment with its own definable range of motion (for instance, you could have a wah and a flanger and set the wah to "Wah" up and down as normal, but reverse the motion of the flanger so that as you make the "wah" go up, it blends out the Flanger, and as you bring the "wah" back down the flanger kicks back in - very cool sound, and not possible with conventional effects).

There's a hell of a lot you can do if you open your mind to the possibilities. And the extra expression pedal is only one of its many advantages, which in my opinion actually outweigh the expression pedal as reasons to go for the G9.2tt over the G7.1ut. Read the models list of each and compare, you'll notice that the G9.2tt packs some heavy-hitters that the G7.1ut lacks (in amps, in stompboxes, and in effects of all kinds).

• Members

I prefer mine into an amp, using its excellent stompboxes and effects for the most part, and its clean models (I have high gain gear already), but I also have recorded with it and it sound great that way, especially into a VST impulse response convolution plugin so you can run a cabinet IR, very realistic that way.

When I first got it, I used it direct into an active PA and that was my guitar rig. Sounded a lot better than I ever expected it to, so I kept it that way for about half a year. It messed with the other guitarist in my band at the time because his high gain sound wasn't as good as mine and he was using a real amp. Now he uses a Pod XT, don't know why I couldn't convince him to go Zoom (think it had something to do with him getting a great deal on the XT, though).

• Members

I prefer mine into an amp, using its excellent stompboxes and effects for the most part, and its clean models (I have high gain gear already), but I also have recorded with it and it sound great that way, especially into a VST impulse response convolution plugin so you can run a cabinet IR, very realistic that way.

When I first got it, I used it direct into an active PA and that was my guitar rig. Sounded a lot better than I ever expected it to, so I kept it that way for about half a year. It messed with the other guitarist in my band at the time because his high gain sound wasn't as good as mine and he was using a real amp. Now he uses a Pod XT, don't know why I couldn't convince him to go Zoom (think it had something to do with him getting a great deal on the XT, though).

He Agreed could you recommend any Cabinet modeling vsts?

• Members

I went from the 2.1u to the G9.2tt, and I really recommend going whole-hog. The extra models on the G9.2tt are all very high quality, from the amps to the stompboxes, and the effects complement and deeper parameter access (not to mention the additional expression pedal and further tube integration) make me question why anyone would buy the G7.1ut. The difference in price is more than justified, in my opinion.

I did the same thing. I had a G2.1u for about a year and really liked it a lot (I still have it and use it). However I was in a music store one day and tried the G9.2tt and was blown away and I left the store with it. I've gigged with it both into an amp and direct into the PA. It sounds good both ways although I like it into an amp better. But I've done some recording with it going direct into ProTools and I was very happy with the results. It's a great fx unit.

• Members

voxengo boogex and SIR

Those are both good choices, but I use KeFIR or KeFIR 2-channel (depending on if it's a mono source or stereo, of course). Very clever programs, essentially zero-latency convolution with an easy graphical interface to adjust how many samples you want to use in the IR. Lets you pare the IR down to the actual meat of it, or stretch it out a bit if you're getting some artifacts, and does it with lower overhead than any of the others I've used.

Archived