hey effects guys...noise issue any suggestions?

CaViTaTioN

• Members

so after a number of years away from pedals I am back with a pedalboard and I am hving some noise issues.

I run a zoom 2.1 thru the loop of my 5150 and use it's noise gate and delay. thru the normal gain input I run a wah, tuner and some various pedals...danelectro chorus, digitech synth wah, ibanez phaser, and whatever dirt pedal strikes me for the day.

I power all of this with a signal flex dc brick. it is not top of the power supply line by any means but I cant afford the Voodoo Labs. point of this whole explanation being I have alot of noise. I tried a universal adapter and it was noisy as well. I read the reviews of the signal flex and users were using a 3 prong adaptor to deal with noise issues (ground loop). i tried this and it did not work worth a damn. I dont have $40 a week for batteries. are pedals really this noisy and i just forgot or what? any suggestions are much appreciated. I know the 5150 is thought of as a buzzy noise machine by a lot of guys but before the pedal arsenal came into play and I was just running the Zoom it was quiet and tight sounding. The Zoom doesnt have the synth area covered or chorus near as good as the single pedals I am using; so using the Zoom alone is a no go. Sorry for the rambling; just want to sort things out and get back to rocking!:cop::thu:

john

• Members

Might just be the order of your pedals. If its that bothersome, maybe you could get a noise suppressor
:idk:

He's using a gate(noise suppressor) on the Zoom.

Try taking each of the pedals out of the chain one at a time. See if it's a specific pedal making the noise. Try using a separate power supply for that single pedal. Keep in mind that the DC Brick is like using a daisy chain. The outputs are not isolated.

EDIT: Are you using the Brick to power the Zoom, too?

• Members

heres the order---
tuner into wah into distortion into synth wah into phaser into chorus out to amp. it seems like dirt pedals seem to attract the most noise. i took the metal zone (I know, I know) out of the chain and it still was making noise. I iwll keep experimenting and see what happens. is it true that I only need one ground for the whole rig? ie; amp plugged into power strip as well as the dc brick have 3 prong adaptors while keeping the power strip in its original 3 prong config (that sounded confusing reading it back...basically just using adaptors for the amp and signal flex while plugging the power strip into the wall with no 3 prong adaptor)

• Members

is it true that I only need one ground for the whole rig? ie; amp plugged into power strip as well as the dc brick have 3 prong adaptors while keeping the power strip in its original 3 prong config (that sounded confusing reading it back...basically just using adaptors for the amp and signal flex while plugging the power strip into the wall with no 3 prong adaptor)

I would be worried about using the same power for something in front of the amp as something in the loop. That is completely pulled out of my ass, but in my head it makes sense.

I know my Tonelok delay has a bit of hum when daisy chained.. maybe you're having the same issue with your phaser?

• Members

Run the dirt off batteries, or a seperate adapter from anything digital or clocked. Or get a seperate adapter for the Synth Wah, which would eat $37 out of $40 worth of batteries .... also try the experiments.

you are not even joking about the synth wah:mad:

I nded up setting it up with the zoom up front in the last spot and it is doing the trick. I cant get the dirt box in line without major noise even with battteries but I will live. thanks to all for your advice

Archived