Help on choosing EQ

• Members

Hey,

I need a little help on choosing a new equalizer. I've had the Boss EQ-20 (Graphic EQ) for about a year now. But I originally bought it for shaping my guitar tone and cleaning up my distortion. Since then I've gone to just using it for shaping my guitar tone since I no longer use distortion anymore. But now I find I don't even use it for my guitar at all. But I still would like to get a new EQ for other things, such as shaping the sounds of drums, synths, other recorded instruments, samples, etc. I need something that can be used on more of a variety of things. Now the question is, first do I still go with another graphic EQ or Parametric.

I've read a little on parametric, and although I somewhat understand it, I'm not exactly sure of the sounds it can get. The only experience I have with one is using various software effects, but it's kind of limiting, especially cause I have to enter in numbers, rather than play around with knobs.

So for what I'd be doing, what are the benefits of each?

• Members

EQ well it depends where your using it. Parametric's are a narrow band where you can zero in on a certain freq. 1/3 octive/ 31 band great for monitors and mains and channel inserts. for sound systems the BBE 882i makes life easier.
Then you have the quality issue and how much you want to spend on an eq. For guitar? I like the boss ge7
my PA? Ashly EQs

Archived