Frantone Electronics Peachfuzz

tubezipper

• Members

yes, the peachfuzz sounds like a muff, a lot of sustain and edge with a lot of gain on tap (unity gain is 9 o'clock), but also has a lot of bass to it as well. The bass is almost too much and you have to compensate by turning the tone control down. It does clean up with the volume turned down, but not too well. It is a high gain fuzz but will get into distortion territory. No od here. The fuzz control affects the gain of this pedal a lot, but you are going to play with it a lot with the volume control. The circuit is based on the LM386 op-amp. It is true bypass, but uses a relay instead of a 3pdt.

I would say it is a good pedal, but nothing magical or special, at least on my rig (tele --> fender amp style). Your mileage will vary.

• Members

I have both a Cream Puff and a Peach Fuzz.

The Peach Fuzz is great. It is kind of like a muff. I think it is based on one but it doesn't feel quite so high gain to me. It is very bassy BUT has quite a bit of mid range to. It seems best for lead tones to me rather than chord work.

The Cream Puff is cool too. Very wooly and big sounding - quite scooped. More suited to rhythem work. Not too good at cutting once you are playing with a bass player. Especially not one who is playing with distortion himself.

Edit: Forgot to mention I think they are both best with single coils.

• Members

I love Frantone's stuff...I just really wish that the PeachFuzz's design was for the Creme Puff....for some reason I have a problem buying a pedal that's that pink....don't really know why....I think that THE SWEET germanium is better than the PF though...I really wish that PGS would have done a vid with a booster before TS germ. though.

• Members

the peachfuzz circuit is not muff based at all.

Care to say what it is based on? I just got mine I would say that sayings it's close to an IC Muff would be right on.

So my review. I love it! I played it next to the only other IC Fuzz I have the new Dano Cool Cat and it blows the Dano away!! It sould for the price. I have to disagree with aberrant about the Sweet sounding better. I like the Sweet but the PF just sounds like a bettter version of it IMHO.

The one thing I don't like it the huge box and the small board inside. Personal thing I guess. I may rehouse it.

• Members

Care to say what it is based on? I just got mine I would say that sayings it's close to an IC Muff would be right on.

Hi Robert,

I along with Bajaman reversed the schematic for the peach fuzz. You can download the schematic i drew from the forbidden forum for your use. Topologically, the only similarity between the ICBM and the PF is 8 pin IC's....4558 in the ICBM and LM386 in the PF.... and the ICBM has 6 diode clipping series while the PF doesn't. Controls are also different. Correct me if wrong, I heard Howard Davis designed the ICBM, so maybe he can answer your question better. --Binh

• Members

Hi Robert,

I along with Bajaman reversed the schematic for the peach fuzz. You can download the schematic i drew from the forbidden forum for your use. Topologically, the only similarity between the ICBM and the PF is 8 pin IC's....4558 in the ICBM and LM386 in the PF.... and the ICBM has 6 diode clipping series while the PF doesn't. Controls are also different. Correct me if wrong, I heard Howard Davis designed the ICBM, so maybe he can answer your question better. --Binh

I ment sound more then design. It's supprising how they got IC's to sound so creamy! If I did not have them both and just heard clips I would guess the Sweet to be the IC fuzz.

BTW I'll go check that out.

• Members

I ment sound more then design. It's supprising how they got IC's to sound so creamy! If I did not have them both and just heard clips I would guess the Sweet to be the IC fuzz.

BTW I'll go check that out.

don't know really, i never owned a ICBM or a sweet :idk:

Archived