Purpose of Furman Rackrider

BigED

• Members

I have a Furman Rackrider RR-15 that I plug my amp head and pedalboard into.

My logic to using it is so that I provide my amp and pedals clean power to reduce hum and electrical noise. (I assume that's point of it...correct me if I'm wrong.)

Is this thing doing anything that a $30 Power Sentry surge protector (smaller and easier to stick in my pedal bag) wouldn't do? I don't need the lights on it, and like I said...I don't have a rack to put it in.

• Members

If you open up a power distribution unit like the RR-15, you'll find that there's really not much to it. It's basically the cord wired to a fuse wired to the outlets. It's not an active power conditioner like the >$150 ones, and won't protect you from dirty power. It won't give you anything more than a regular power strip with a built-in fuse would give you.

• Members

If you open up a power distribution unit like the RR-15, you'll find that there's really not much to it. It's basically the cord wired to a fuse wired to the outlets. It's not an active power conditioner like the >$150 ones, and won't protect you from dirty power. It won't give you anything more than a regular power strip with a built-in fuse would give you.

While I agree it's no $150, the description of it leads one to believe it is better than just a $20 surge protector.

All RR Series conditioners protect your delicate electronic equipment by combining high voltage varistor (MOV) surge and transient suppressors. The fast-acting suppression circuit quickly responds to clamp transient voltages to safe levels.An RFI/EMI interference filter works to prevent noise from fluorescent lights, certain dimmers, radio transmitters, and similar sources of "electronic pollution" from contaminating the AC line and from there, leaking into sensitive audio, video, or computer circuits. The RR-15 is NRTL/TUV listed.

Archived