Using one tap tempo control for mutiple delay pedals?

TimmyT

• Members

Hey guys, I am currently playing in a band with 3 guitarists and we all use quite a bit of delay. We were talking about linking all our delay pedals together so just one of us taps the tempo in to all 3 pedals just to tighten up our sound a bit live. Is this possible, and if so how do we go about doing it?

Thanks

• Members

You should be able to make a tap tempo with 3 outputs and everything commoned up easily. Tap tempo normally works by taking the tip to ground so there's no problem in taking all three tips to ground through a single switch providing they all work in the this way

• Members

I was going to post this same question.. basically..

I wanted to make a "on/off" switch for my Korg Delays, there is a jack on the back of each unit for this very purpose. My tap pedal works this function and i actually made a box to do so with an extra 3dpt switch i had lying around. Is it as simple as connecting both lines from each delay on the same lugs on the 3dpt switch?

• Members

Yes, although if you have a 3PDT switch anyway you could keep things neat and separate by using all the poles. Ultimately pressing the switch just takes the tip to ground and as you'd be taking all the tips to the same ground anyway, there should be no problem commoning up.

• Members

Yes, although if you have a 3PDT switch anyway you could keep things neat and separate by using all the poles. Ultimately pressing the switch just takes the tip to ground and as you'd be taking all the tips to the same ground anyway, there should be no problem commoning up.

I'd worry about the potential for making a huge ground loop there. Also what happens when you link all the tips together?

I'd use a 3-pole momentary footswitch - Knitter do them - so that the pedals are kept isolated.

• Members

I'd worry about the potential for making a huge ground loop there. Also what happens when you link all the tips together?

I'd use a 3-pole momentary footswitch - Knitter do them - so that the pedals are kept isolated.

There's always that potential but all I can say is it worked for me without problem using a G-Force and M-One together

• Members

i agree... it's less about the pedals all 'seeing' the same ground, more about alll the gear being connected, especially amps. might be fine most of the time, but you can't control the power/ground situation at gigs usually.

try to find a momentary 3PDT switch, and use plastic/isolated jacks to keep everyone's rig happy. should work.

• Members

I'd hope that they'd designed it in such a way that it'd work fine, but I am concerned about the potential for ground loops when it's effectively linking the grounds of 3 amps.

3 amps? It's linking the ground of 3 effect pedals or processors. As you say could cause a ground loop and I'm not saying it's the best way to do it, but I'm saying that if all the tap tempos are simply completing a ground circuit then it can work. Suck it and see.

• Members

ground loops probably arent a problem for a switch input... it's not like the tap circuit (probably) cares that much about what it sees, it's just a high state that is brought low by closing a switch momentarily. It would be a silly design to have the audio ground affected by the ground of a separate circuit that mainly sets the clock of a delay, but I guess some devices may work that way

Archived