Compressor Help

formula2fast

• Members

I am looking to get a rack mounted compressor (single space) and not really sure what to get. I am looking to stay under $200. I know Alesis, DBX,TC Electronics, Berhinger, and BBE all make a decent compressor in that price range, but which is better? Which have you had experience with?

I like the idea of the BBE with the Sonic Maximizer, but I have heard a lot of complaints of them having a channel that has noise and crackling. The other ones I am looking at are the DBX 266XL, Alesis 3630, behringer multicom-pro XL mdx-4600, and the TC Electronic C-300 Dual Stereo Gate/Compressor.

This is for a guitar rig that is mainly pedal based with a dual rec, so a single channel will do, although most of them are dual channel, so one would just be left empty as I do not run in stereo.

Thanks for the expertise.

• Members

there are different types of compression. BBE makes them all well.

like a BBE orange squeeze or MXR dynacomp up front to pull up the volumn on your bends. or a soft style post , or BBE opto compressors, take and jel the finished chain's sound real nice. the maximizer is a great post chain effect that removes cancelling frequencies. you can even place it into the power amp return.

• Members

After some searching and reading, it seems that the TC Electronics C-300 and the DBX 266X are probably the top ones in this price range.

The Alesis 3630 also seems very good, so I am down to these 3 to choose from. I do not know much about compressors, so I may visit a local shop to learn a bit more before making a decision.

Keep the suggestions coming, especially if it is about these 3.

Archived