NMD! (Mandolin Content)

WickedWesley

• Members

Hey guys! My parents just came back from their vacation in Italy and brought me a gift! I bet you can't guess what it is! ;)

Check out this beauty! :D

FrontB.jpgFrontA.jpg

Tenson F505.410 Electric Mandolin

BackA.jpgBackB.jpg

I love the way it looks, a bit more red than my LP Wine Red and I love that black burst! Just plugged it in my Marshall, sounds pretty decent, the pick ups have a very low output though. This is my first mandolin, by the way :p So I just read on wiki that the standard tuning is GDAE, where each pair is the same. Any other things I should try? I was thinking root and fifths maybe? So where to begin? Anyone got some good mandolin resources?

Cheers!

Wesley

• Members

I've got an acoustic mandolin with a cheap pickup inside which sounds alright but plays like {censored}e. I've been eyeing a new one for a while now, after seeing Warren Ellis play with Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds recently I might have to get an electric one.

I'm thinking a mandobird.

epiphone_mandobird.jpg

Just get a chordbook or look up some chords or tab on the internet, shouldn't be too hard to pick up. Violin is the same tuning aswell.

• Members

Yeah I was looking in mandolins a little while ago, the Fender was too expensive for me, as I don't know if I like it or not. When I'm gigging with it, I'll buy a decent one :p

Thanks Robo, I'll check it out!

I don't like that mandobird thing, looks weird :p But that the tele looks cool :D

It sounds lovely with some delay by the way! I have it tuned properly now and sounds a bit better than before! :D Probably need to get a different amp for these things to shine, all I've got is a JVM, any advice?

• Members

sorry... but this looks so cool, it needed to be this big.

3290mandocasterblackFINAL.jpg

Very cool!! And I believe this is the actual size as well.

I've been very close to getting a mando at least 3 times, but I never really pulled the trigger. I always thought I would lose interest in it and let it collect dust. I might swing by the LMS tomorrow and see whats what.

HNMD!!!! :thu:

• Members

mandolins are cool! :thu:

this is one of mine: (it's actually a Mandola; slightly longer scale, supposed to be tuned CGDA like a Viola as opposed to Violin tuning.)

mandolasmall.jpg

there are lots of different tunings to try with Mandolin; open tunings etc.

i've heard of people tuning it like a guitar (but transposed): GCFBb (like the guitars lowest four strings) or GCEA (like the guitars highest four strings).

Archived