Alesis Micron for processing voice?

girevik

• Members

My bandmate has been using my Nord Modular G2X for triggering noises and processing her voice. She doesn't use it for any particularly advanced synthesis or processing application.

I'm thinking of picking up an Alesis Micron - it's got audio inputs, decent sounding synth engine, and goes about $150 on ebay. I figure she could use that as her noise machine/voice processor, and I can get my G2X back for experimenting with processing my guitar and electric cello. The mic that Alesis made for it sells for about $30. The Micron would probably be easier for her to use too. We need a 2nd keyboard synth anyway. Right now, only one person at a time can play keyboard synth in our band.

Has anyone used the Micron's effects for external audio signals? I think if the Micron can do decent delay and 'verb (for live use, not trying to compete with Lexicon), our requirement will be met.

• Members

I've never used the Micron to process vocals but,

1. get your G2X back (if I had one, I'd barely let people touch it, let alone retain possession of it! :D)

2. don't buy an Alesis mic "made for the Micron"

3. good luck getting a Micron for $150

4. the delays on the Micron are *ok* - nothing like the G2X can do

5. the Micron's small size is really convenient

• Members

I've never used the Micron to process vocals but,

1. get your G2X back (if I had one, I'd barely let people touch it, let alone retain possession of it!
:D
)

2. don't buy an Alesis mic "made for the Micron"

3. good luck getting a Micron for $150

4. the delays on the Micron are *ok* - nothing like the G2X can do

5. the Micron's small size is really convenient

Yeah, my bandmate is not a tech-savvy person, so I figured the simpler Micron would be a better fit for her while I get my G2X back for personal experimentation.. The mic in question is the Alesis AM-1, which is included in one of Nova Musik's Micron bundles. She has a primary vocal mic which is decent - she's had no complaints about the free mic that came with the G2X

Some ebay listings of the Micron for today, starting at $100:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=alesis+micron&category0=

• Members

I'm not saying the Alesis mic is bad, or the G2X mic is bad, or that you shouldn't take a free one if it comes your way in a bundle - just don't think that you need that mic to use the Micron's vocal processing - its just a 1/4" jack that any mic would work on, so if you've already got a mic, use that.

When an auction starts at $100, don't count on it ending at $150 - plan on paying $300 for a decent used Micron.

• Members

Actually, my bandmate has always used her "real" vocal mic for unprocessed voice and the G2X gooseneck mic at the same time. She really likes being able to switch between unprocessed and processed voice by which mic she sings into.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Korg R3 now. It costs a little more, but like the G2X comes with a gooseneck mic that conveniently sticks out next to the keyboard. The formant recording feature would probably interest her.

• Members

If you are primarily looking for a good vocoder synth, I'd probably steer you away from the Micron. I have one and love it for all it does, but after some trial and error have decided the MicroKorg has a much more usable vocoder and works well out of the box (even comes with a gooseneck and formant recording). The R3 probably takes this even further. Good luck!

Archived