ion analog drift

scientist

• Members

okay, i'm sitting in front of my new alesis ion and can't find the 'analog drift' option. the manual states analog drift as being at pg5 button 3 of the global menu. well my pg5 button 3 shows 'tempo source'. i don't see analog drift anywhere in the global menu, even between os'es (came with 1.03 and i updated to 1.06 to see if it was added later).

anyone with an ion, can you tell me am i missing something obvious or does analog drift not really exist on this thing? maybe it got dropped from the os early on, or is now always on by default and can't be switched?

• Members

Anyone else get unpleasant frequency modulation when they engage the analogue drift? I get it on a couple of patches i've made on my Micron, its kinda put me off the thing. I want my osc to go real high and stay clean.

I kinda got round it once by plugging Evolver oscs into the thing instead of the stock ones but I still got some filter aliasing/frequency mod. I want to upgrade to an Ion to get extra tweakability but this is holding me back.

• Members

Anyone else get unpleasant frequency modulation when they engage the analogue drift? I get it on a couple of patches i've made on my Micron, its kinda put me off the thing. I want my osc to go real high and stay clean.

I kinda got round it once by plugging Evolver oscs into the thing instead of the stock ones but I still got some filter aliasing/frequency mod. I want to upgrade to an Ion to get extra tweakability but this is holding me back.

My experience is that all virtual analogs have a problems with aliasing in the higher pitch. It is most noticable with things like FM or Sync though. The Virus is actually worse than the ION in this prespective.

• Members

I like the smoothed random S&H feature on my nord lead 2X but you can only apply it to OSC2 and not both oscillators independently. Maybe you should consider the nord if you need a tweakable VA synth.

• Members

kayvon, check the alesis page concerning the os updates. it sounds like they addressed high octave aliasing problems in an os update, but really i'm not sure if this would fix your problem. fwiw, its much harder for me to hear any aliasing on this thing as opposed to other va's i've used.

• Members

Hi Scientist, yeah i'm running the latest os. Maybe i'm expecting too much from contemporary VAs. Have you tried the Nord 2x/3? Like dereksljuka suggests i'm temtped to forego some of the Ions/Microns vintage flavour for a Nord if its got that clean high end.

• Members

i don't have personal experience with the 2x or 3. my only nord was the original modular, and i sold it because it was just too clean for my tastes. since that clean sound is what nord is known for it might be what you're looking for.

Archived