Contrasting synth to a Prophet 08

MuzikB

• Members

How 'bout a D-50?

Better to just grab a used V-Synth with the D50 card or a Varios. Better reliability with the same sound but i've never been much of a D-50 fan.

More of a Prophet VS or Wavestation in that regard.

• Members

What is this, The McLachlan Group?

Freddy the Beatle Barnes, What synth am I thinking of on a scale of 1 to 18? WRONG! The correct answer is 4.35.

Is that the best way you can think of to ask for more info to be helpful or did you just feel the need to burn an extra calorie or two in typing that?

• Members

That was... ah.. what's described as a joke.

Sorry if it seemed like I was being a dick though.

I apologize. I thought you were being a dick. :(

The Prophet 08 is a bit aggressive and full. Just was looking for something more passive in the hardware vain.

So far, the best way I can get subtlety out of the prophet is with PWM or single oscillator with thick chorus. Still working with it though.

• Members

The Prophet and the MOSS board can get pretty punchy. I'm pretty happy in that department. As someone else stated, something more subtle and creamy than the Prophet 08 is what I'm after that's also fairly simple to use.

i see. your definition of "punch" is different than mine...okay, more creamy. someone stated a matrix 6, that`s a really nice one and definitely "creamy" and warm. maybe mks70 / jx8p will do too.

• Members

How does the Prophet sound with triangles instead of pulse though?

A bit belly but still beefy. Sine waves would have been nice. Also considering self oscillation in the filter section of a double layered patch while using the filter key amount between the two parts to adjust pitch. Then use Logic's filter on the output.

• Members

Smooth and creamy would suggest an Oberheim or JP8000 - I think you recently had and got rid of a SH201 so FE's Matrix suggestion seems good (although you know an OBX/OBXa/Xpander would be better!)

If you like VS and WS (and you already have the latter presumably in your KLC) then how about Massive, or are you really wanting hardware?

• Members

i see. your definition of "punch" is different than mine...okay, more creamy. someone stated a matrix 6, that`s a really nice one and definitely "creamy" and warm. maybe mks70 / jx8p will do too.

Yep - MKS70/JX8P/JX10 would be good too! :thu:

• Members

Smooth and creamy would suggest an Oberheim or JP8000 - I think you recently had and got rid of a SH201 so FE's Matrix suggestion seems good (although you know an OBX/OBXa/Xpander would be better!)

If you like VS and WS (and you already have the latter presumably in your KLC) then how about Massive, or are you really wanting hardware?

Need a hardware piece for this. Something I can use live. E-Bay watching a lot of the suggestions here but leaning towards a Matrix 6 or grabbing another JP-80X0. The SH-201 was too computer dependent IMHO.

Also considering a Nord Lead 3. Folks are dumping those for Nord Wave's now and a Novation KS4.

• Members

You could find an OB8 for cheaper and it has those esoteric "Page 2" functions...

• Members

You could find an OB8 for cheaper and it has those esoteric "Page 2" functions...

All the higher end Oberheim's are too expensive and I definitely wouldn't use them outside my studio.

Although I would love to have an OB8. :love:

Guest Anonymous

Just got back from playing a Prophet 08 at GC and it sure can get aggressive sounding. The demos I have heard on the net made it out to be more of an old school sounding synth. I feel a Roland synth of some type would really compliment the 08. If you use midi then a Juno 106 or Jupiter 6 would be the analog ticket. With the price of the original V-Synth dropping it would make sense to pick one up over a JP-8000. I like the sound of old Oberheims but feel they are more limited than Juno's and Jupiter's. It might be sacrilege but, my favorite Obie is the OB12 because it is so versatile.

:wave:

• Members

Just got back from playing a Prophet 08 at GC and it sure can get aggressive sounding. The demos I have heard on the net made it out to be more of an old school sounding synth. I feel a Roland synth of some type would really compliment the 08. If you use midi then a Juno 106 or Jupiter 6 would be the analog ticket. With the price of the original V-Synth dropping it would make sense to pick one up over a JP-8000. I like the sound of old Oberheims but feel they are more limited than Juno's and Jupiter's. It might be sacrilege but, my favorite Obie is the OB12 because it is so versatile.

:wave:

I'm glad you see what I'm talking about now. I was thinking more in line with the Roland's as well.

I've got a good bead on a Juno 106 and Juno 60 right now. Unless someone is willing to sell me an excellent condition Jupiter 6 for $750, a Jup's not going to happen.

Had an OB-12 and although I REALLY liked the sound, it was a bit too quirky and unfinished. Viscount and Gibson really dropped the ball on that one. Viscount were an agreeable bunch to talk to but $%#@ Gibson.

Archived