Help an Effects Newb Build a Pedalboard

Bare Bones

• Members

in my opinion, amp is the most important first. that said, it doesnt necesarrily mean a tube amp. try out amps that you like, if you are happy with the fender, keep it. tube amps arent the default answer. see what you dig, invest a decent amount of money in it, then start with pedals.

Tuner

• Members

garret made some really good suggestions but don't go broke. pitchblack tuner. try to find a used boss chorus or get a danelectro DC1. dirt-OCD (i prefer v4). line 6 tone core delay (tap tempo and cheaper than most). i don't think you'd really need a wah but the Budda or Vox are good. eq - danelectro fish and chips. reverb pedals are great but not necessary. pitch shifters are something you get down the road for fun. a good tube amp is very crucial but if what you have works, then by all means.

for a board, get an ikea gorm and velcro. pedal power 2 plus or BBE supa charger.

• Members

haha i was just suggesting some of the best gear i know of. He can ask around he for some cheaper alternatives of those pedals if he cant afford them.

i know man :thu: i just thought i'd post the stuff thats cheaper and/or more accessible. high marks on the suggestions though.

• Members

Is the 1-1.5k budget including for an amp?

I agree that you should invest in a good tube amp. Depends on application and if you're getting mic'ed mostly, you don't need a huge tube amp... so alot of options vox ac15/30, fender deluxe reverb/vibrolux reverb/hot rod/bandmaster. You can also get a doctor z which would be a good investment but will put you under at about $1000-1300. There are a bunch of options if you give yourself $1000 for an amp budget.

As for the rest, my suggestion is to go slow on the effects. I would stay clear of high price boutiques until you've figured out what you like. Stick to household brands like rat, bigmuff, fuzzface, tubescreamers. Stay away from expensive effects brands for now until you find what you like. I would go used effects, ebay and craigslist. Stick to about $30-150 price range for now. There are many many many effects in this price range that will sound as good as a boutique.

Do not let people tell you a boutique is superior because they're more expensive!

You must determine this for yourself to know the truth. To illustrate, a rocktron intellifex is made in the 90's and cost about $125 on ebay. It has stereo ducking delay, great verbs, 8 voice chorus, pitch shifting, etc in a simple 1 space rack package. Any single boutique effect is about $150 or more and easily go $500 on the used market.

My point? Start slow and build up your arsenal and try out the cheap stuff. Cheap doesn't equate to sucking. Examples include danelectro fish and chip (eq), tuna melt (tremolo), surf and turf (ross compressor), chicken salad (vibrato), etc. Even behringers are good sounding... check behringer uv300 vibrato.

things i recommend is stay with classic effects --

examples

proco rat -- distortion

ibanez tubescreamers -- overdrive

boss dm2/dm3 --analog delay

boss dd20 -- digital delay

ehx memory man -- delay

ehx big muff -- fuzz face

boss sd1 -- overdrive/distortion (modded is better)

boss ds1 -- distortion (again modded is better)

ehx small clone -- chorus

dunlop phase 90 - phaser

some boutiques are more affordable (less $150)...examples are subdecay, barber electronics.

anyway good luck

• Members

No, and I would be willing to spend upwards of $800-$900 on a tube amp.

Thanks for the rest of the info. I plan to get my first pedal next weekend (the jury is out on which direction I go, but probably a delay or chorus).

• Members

I agree that you should invest in a good tube amp. Depends on application and if you're getting mic'ed mostly, you don't need a huge tube amp... so alot of options vox ac15/30, fender deluxe reverb/vibrolux reverb/hot rod/bandmaster. You can also get a doctor z which would be a good investment but will put you under at about $1000-1300. There are a bunch of options if you give yourself $1000 for an amp budget.

As for the rest, my suggestion is to go slow on the effects. I would stay clear of high price boutiques until you've figured out what you like. Stick to household brands like rat, bigmuff, fuzzface, tubescreamers. Stay away from expensive effects brands for now until you find what you like. I would go used effects, ebay and craigslist. Stick to about $30-150 price range for now. There are many many many effects in this price range that will sound as good as a boutique.

Do not let people tell you a boutique is superior because they're more expensive!

You must determine this for yourself to know the truth. To illustrate, a rocktron intellifex is made in the 90's and cost about $125 on ebay. It has stereo ducking delay, great verbs, 8 voice chorus, pitch shifting, etc in a simple 1 space rack package. Any single boutique effect is about $150 or more and easily go $500 on the used market.

My point? Start slow and build up your arsenal and try out the cheap stuff. Cheap doesn't equate to sucking. Examples include danelectro fish and chip (eq), tuna melt (tremolo), surf and turf (ross compressor), chicken salad (vibrato), etc. Even behringers are good sounding... check behringer uv300 vibrato.

things i recommend is stay with classic effects --

examples

proco rat -- distortion

ibanez tubescreamers -- overdrive

boss dm2/dm3 --analog delay

boss dd20 -- digital delay

ehx memory man -- delay

ehx big muff -- fuzz face

boss sd1 -- overdrive/distortion (modded is better)

boss ds1 -- distortion (again modded is better)

ehx small clone -- chorus

dunlop phase 90 - phaser

some boutiques are more affordable (less $150)...examples are subdecay, barber electronics.

anyway good luck

DING DING DING DING DING

WE HAVE A WINNER!

I'd also like to add:

Overdrive: DOD-250

it rocks and can be had for 30 bucks

• Members

No, and I would be willing to spend upwards of $800-$900 on a tube amp.

Thanks for the rest of the info. I plan to get my first pedal next weekend (the jury is out on which direction I go, but probably a delay or chorus).

Well, some advice. . .

don't ask for help in the amp forum about amps

they'll want you to buy some heavy metal full stack

• Members

Well, some advice. . .

don't ask for help in the amp forum about amps

they'll want you to buy some heavy metal full stack

Thanks, definitely not what I want. I was hoping there were people in here playing the same type(s) of music and can provide recommendations based on their experiences. I know a Marshall stack is not what I need.

• Members

If I was you, I'd start with something along the lines of (assuming you're buying new):

Hot Rod Deluxe/AC 30/Twin Reverb RI/just try them yourself

RAT

DE 7 or, if you want tap tempo/looping, SMMH

If you're going used, the field opens up a lot. Those three things above should get you the sounds you need to get started. There's no reason to buy an avalanche of things. Start small, and that way, each time you get something, you'll really take the time to see what it can and can't do. There's no reason to throw $2000 down for an amp/board when you're just getting into this stuff. My amp/board together as it is now cost me about $700. With my main guitar these days, it was about $900.

Archived