I need some computer help, re: SATA.

Collapse

• Members

I bought a Hitachi 7k1000, which is apparently the only SATA 2 drive ever without a jumper to set it to SATA 1.

My motherboard is an nForce3, which supports SATA 1, but not SATA 2.

So I got ahold of a computer that read SATA 2, used Hitachi tools to set it to SATA 1, and formatted it.

Now I put it back in my computer. On boot it gets through POST, but then it tries to load SATA/RAID drivers. It detects that that the hard drive is there, but it just hangs there. I can't enter RAID BIOS or anything.

I'm not trying to boot off this drive. I have a 120GB IDE drive with XP installed. I just want to use the SATA drive as storage.

wtf.

• Members

Kind of an irrelevant question, since he's not getting that far in the startup routine.

Try this though: Turn on the computer with the SATA drive unplugged. Plug it in after boot up. See if your computer lets you use it as hot-plug.

At any rate, I've never had this problem before... Are you using SATA ports 1 and 2 or 1 and 3? Try the opposite if you're having issues. Not much else I'm afraid I can help you with without being there to troubleshoot in person (it's how I work).

You can also try getting help from the forums at www.neowin.net

• Members

XP, SATA port 1, mobo doesn't support hotplug.

I actually had a SATA card and was getting the same problem, so I decided to give the onboard ports a shot.

Only thought I have, is since the card and the onboard support are SATA/RAID implementations, they expect to see multiple HDDs so they can run in array, but :idk:

Archived