Thoughts on boss gt5

D-River

• Members

I play post rock/ambient/experimental stuff...I get a basic tone that really satisfies me from a classic player jazzmaster into T-Rex Moller OD, Russian Big Muff, Ibanez AD9 and EHX Small Stone...sometimes I would like to mess around with more effects for complex ambient soundscapes or strange experimental sounds, but I don't have enough money to buy lots of individual stompboxes; I found out that gt5s have a reasonable price used and lots of interesting features...I would like to have thoughts from people who tried those units: do they suck tone when bypassed? how is the quality of the effects? Would you compare them to individual boss stompboxes? I'm interested in using everything except for the dirt and the preamp...(I've heard lots of good things about delays and reverbs)...also does the slow gear work well? what about the option to control fx parameters with an LFO(that's one of the features that intrigues me the most)? and how does the guitar synth work? is it possible to use just its filter? Yeah, I know that I have a lot of questions..:) Thank you very much!

• Members

I have a GT3 and it's not bad. Dirt isn't great, but passable. I think you really need to sit down with it and tweak it to your rig. I think the processing rate on a lot of the effects is pretty low... some people notice; they sounded fine to me. Not amazing, but I think with enough tweaking, they can sound pretty good, especially for atmospheric stuff where feel trumps realism/authenticity.

The Boss GT series had some nice features. I don't know if the newer versions have the same features. Being able to sync up all your time-based effects with the CTL pedal (if you programmed it that way) is huge. I have used the GT3 for atmospheric stuff, and it does really well.

I really like the vibrato effect.

The Slow Gear worked okay but I've had better results with the Swell Echo setting on my Line 6 DL-4. I never could set the sensitivity quite right on the GT3.

For some real-world context, if you have heard of The Autumns, Frankie their guitar player still has a GT-3 on his board after all these years. If you haven't, you can hear it more on their older material.

I found the synth stuff to not track very well. I didn't mess with it too much.

Bypass worked for me. At gig volumes, I actually like what it did when I ran into my amp's dirty channel with all of the GT3 modeling & effects off. It kind of tightened up everything. I only did that for the choruses of one song, but it worked ok for me.

• Members

i used to have a gt-3 the got a gt-5 then i got a digitech rp-3 for what i was doing at he time the rp-3 sounded better, the pitch shifting effects where better tlike the whammy sounds and octave effects, also the flanger and chorus where better on the rp3- the gts had one nice thing was the synth sutff that didnt reall track well but it was glitchy cool

Archived