MIDI question

thedh02

• Members

i dont know too much about midi here, so bare with me please

Ok so I'm getting a m-audio projectmix, and it has only one midi in. i have a few different midi devices so i need to get some sort of extender. thing is every midi 4x4 i've seen is usb. i kinda want it to be firewire, which is what the projectmix is. so is it possible to get three or four diff midi devices to go into the midi of the projectmix?

• Members

i dont know too much about midi here, so bare with me please

Ok so I'm getting a m-audio projectmix, and it has only one midi in. i have a few different midi devices so i need to get some sort of extender. thing is every midi 4x4 i've seen is usb. i kinda want it to be firewire, which is what the projectmix is. so is it possible to get three or four diff midi devices to go into the midi of the projectmix?

Midi is not like digital audio, it is just notes, program changes and control parameters. You won't find any Firewire (and don't need it).

Audio Cards come in USB / Firewire / PCI formats because the bandwith needed to carry a 44/48/92/192 Khz @ 16, 24, and 32 bits, is quite big.

If you want to controll them, you need two things, One is the Midi Channel at which the Device is listening/talking to, and other thing is the Midi Port it is conected to your 4x4.

You need to specify in your sequencer to which Midi Port it is connected to, and one which Midi Chanel your device is listening to.

Hope it helps.

Archived