glitch drums?

1150A

• Members

hey,

I was wondering if anyone had experience making glitch type drums with drum pads? I'm looking to get an mpc but im not sure how it will effect my work flow.. Usually its based off a regular beat with 909 samples then with another layer of glitchy sounds. The 909 samples I can do with drum pads but the glitchy sounds im used to using a pattern/step sequencer. Do any of you guys have experiance with doing glitch drums on drum pads like the mpc1000?

• Members

I used to do glitchy drum stuff on an e-mu PX-7, using its pads. For me the step input was fairly straightforward, it was programming the modulations that made the glitch happen, and creative use of the arpeggiator (thanks for the tip, aeon!). Once you get unfamilair and sometimes unpredictable output when you hit a pad, then the machine is actually working in a "glitchy" fashion and making a glitchy beat in realtime is simple.

The MPC1000 is in most respects simpler than the command stations sequencing & synthesis-wise, but I've perused the manual and you could still do plenty of glitchy stuff. Just get creative with (re)triggering options, quantization/swing, stuff like that. Mess with everything, and any time you get an unexpected output, exploit it.

• Members

In the mid 90s, I had fantastic success using the Boss DR-660 for IDM percussion. You can program some great buzzes and crackles by sequencing on PPQN, and use mono/poly pad priorities for truncation and stuttering effects. Finally, you can {censored} it up with some brute-force sysex errors, causing the OS to overflow and expose parameters that vastly extend the unit's potential as a synth.

Cloacal-X is right about the Command Stations, though I'd also recommend mapping the polyphonic aftertouch to a sampler's retrigger or loop points. It's an ergonomic and intuitive way to produce those sounds - hit a pad for a snare sound, hold it with varying pressure for Squarepusher and AFX effects.

• Members

What are some good ways to do it live?

Routing sounds through decimator and then distortion effects can give you some really great glitchy Lo-Fi sounds. Tape styled Delay effects also work great live since they pitch bend the sound as you tweak the settings.

All the Kaoss pads out so far pretty much cover all the real time effects you need for instant glitch.

Archived