Motif ES8 keys clicking

loxley11

• Members

Hi guys,

I started to do a search for this topic, and then I remembered why I don't do searches here anymore - Sheesh!

Anyway, I recently upgraded to an ES 8 and have noticed the keys clicking loudly in the lower registers, as though there was a piece of metal beneath them instead of the pad or felt or whatever is supposed to be there. UPS did a pretty poor job in shipping, so much so that I returned the first when the box arrived completely open and the LCD screen was broken.

The second box arrived closed but in a similar condition, boot prints all over it, covered in mud. Today I pulled a tiny screw out of ES which had been rolling around loose and making noise, so I've no idea what else is wrong. I'd return it too, but Yamaha took so long shipping out their 88-key case that I haven't been able to use the thing (and notice the problem) until now.

Basically, after all that ranting, what I'm asking is, does anyone know if a non-tech like me can open the thing and do a cursory search around to see what the problem is, or am I better off taking it to a tech? And if I can open it up, can it be done without removing every f'ing screw on the board, cuz removing the endplates doesn't work like it does with older boards.

Maybe I'll post this in that OTHER forum too...

Thanks,

Drew

• Members

Who the hell are you buying from?

It sounds like you are trying to buy a new ES8, though you haven't made that clear, in which case the retailer is responsible for returns and getting you an ES8 in new working condition. You should have something like 30-45 days to return the item if you are hot happy with it, and after that then your Yamaha warranty takes over. If your keyboard is broken, send it back.

Also, the shipper (UPS) bears some responsibility here... you did buy some insurance with your shipping, right?

• Members

I don't know specifically about the ES8, but most modern keyboards are assembled upside down and that's how you get in. You can flip it over laying it on a pad (or pillows) and count the screws to see if you want to go in.

...and I don't know what's going on with your shipping but any on-line retailer I've dealt with double-boxes everything. And they need it. I've had things arrive with all kinds of rips and puncture marks on the outer box, but survived because of it. If I buy something on eBay I insist on having it double-boxed these days, and paying for it myself just to be safe.

If all this is happening and it's double-boxed anyway, I dunno... it's been years since I shipped anything that large.

• Members

I got the Motif ES8 new from AMS. It was NOT double boxed either time! The first time it arrived with one of those inspection stickers and it looked like the box had not been reclosed/been reclosed improperly. The second time the box arrived closed but still beat up as hell. I'm sure I do have recourse with UPS as well but here's how I see that scenario going:

1- receive beat up keyboard, return it to AMS, ask for compensation from UPS (which I will be lucky to get)

2- AMS receives old board and ships new keyboard via their shipper (UPS)

3- receive beat up keyboard, return it to AMS, ask for compensation from UPS...

No, I don't think that is going to work.

What I need now is a tech who can work on the board, or enough info to work on it myself, which I would do if I was familiar with these new-fangled keyboards. If mrcpro is right, then I'll turn the girl over and have a look at her underside;) I just didn't know if modern boards were technologically beyond the average hack like me. If anyone does have experience with these boards specifically, that would be great. Don't we have a yamaha tech/rep at this forum anyhow?

thanks,

Drew

p.s. Shame on AMS for such a crappy shipping job! How do they ever expect anyone to receive an object of any size in good condition if they can't even double box??

• Members

Sometimes UPS package (mis)handling is just ridiculous.

I got my ES in the factory box with no problems whatsoever. Double boxing shouldn't be needed (otherwise the factory would double box!).

I would not hesitate to get someone from AMS on the phone and explain the problem. After all, they do want your money and if UPS is causing problems they'll want to know about it.

Archived