NAD! Bandmaster Reverb + goodies

andreas

• Members

fenders.jpg

I got the amp home today... it's a '68-'69 Bandmaster Reverb head, TFL5005X model (I've only seen TFL5005D before, but the X might indicate an export model, with the D for domestic). The head cab has had its grille cloth replaced at some point, which is why it is black. But the aluminium trim typical for the '68-'69 period is still there. The Fender logo looks just fine IRL, but got a bit messed up by the flash. I'll date it more properly later on, but it'll do for now.

The amp came with an accompanying 2x12" cab (with tilt-back legs and the bits to secure the amp head to the cab), which seems to be a bit later. I guess once I get it open I'll know more when it's made.

The amp itself came in a 2x10" Vibrolux Reverb-type cabinet, with Jensen C10R speakers, and I will probably use the amp as a combo. Now, if you'll excuse me I have to hook up the speakers and test this baby out... :D

/Andreas

• Members

I just played it (through the 2x12", as the 10" speakers need wiring up) and I'm in love! Great cleans with a nice hint of breakup, the reverb sounds awesome and the tremolo is just so... The only thing that bugs me with the combo cabinet is that the upper back edge isn't straight, but has a piece cut out of it so the back edge of the chassis (with the reverb and footswitch connections) is a little unprotected. Upon further inspection, the combo cab is actually a cut down Super Reverb cabinet (it has a SR tube chart inside). I see a couple of right-angle RCA plugs in the immediate future :D

/Andreas

• Members

i need to grab a bandmaster before the prices go up... i almost got one a few years ago, should have done...

the prices have been pretty consistent for years. Usually around $500.

if you watch ebay every now and then one slips by for dirt cheap.

there's on in the amp "for sale" section right now.

• Members

the prices have been pretty consistent for years. Usually around $500.

if you watch ebay every now and then one slips by for dirt cheap.

there's on in the amp "for sale" section right now.

that's true. They have a consistent price. And Andreas, could you make some clips for us? I'd love to hear that.

• Members

Speakers hooked up, reverb tank cables replaced (for neatness, mostly). The amp sounds really good with the Jensens too - not as deep and fat as with the 2x12", but really good still. First gig will be the test, I suppose - that's when the low mid boom of Jensen 10's tend to get to me.

I'm starting to get really hooked on this amp now - it has such nice "bloom" on the note attack, and a slight growl the Twin don't get to until the level is quite a bit beyond sane. I just spent the best part of two hours with just a strat, a delay pedal and the reverb on 4... :D

• Members

FWIW, here's a couple clips I did with mine, using the little built in mic of my laptop.

thanks Robo, tasteful playing and great tone. Considering it's from a computer built-in mic, it sounds amazing!!

Andreas, I'm gasing more and more for a bandmaster. Those amps look and sound like they got a great attack. That's what my friend who tried one said about it.

• Members

thanks Robo, tasteful playing and great tone. Considering it's from a computer built-in mic, it sounds amazing!!

Andreas, I'm gasing more and more for a bandmaster. Those amps look and sound like they got a great attack. That's what my friend who tried one said about it.

thanks,

they do have a nice feel to them

I had a JTM45 for a long time and the BMR really reminds me of it, they both are about 30 watts, tube rectified, amazing cleans and lovely soft crunchy breakup when pushed. But the bandmaster also has some of the best reverb I've ever heard in a fender and nice tremolo.

• Members

There's a slight ticking when the tremolo is on, which isn't too bad considering the amp will turn 40 this summer...

The Jensens are actually starting to grow a little on me - they're not as boxy as I remembered them from the Blue Angel I had (but that was mostly used on the 4xEL84 setting, which is quite different). Again, after the first gig I'll know more. I almost hope it works out well, which might inspire me to replace the JBL's in the Twin for something more Jensen-ish (and hopefully lighter). Time will tell, I suppose.

• Members

Ah, amp tweaking at its finest... "Hey, I did the chopstick mod today" :D

That's what I love about these old Fenders - they are so simple and crude compared to modern designs, which is probably why they survive as long as they do.

Archived