SOT: live mixer/DI newb questions

• Members

hey guys, I'm totally new to the world of live sound and whatnot. But I have an ambient live show coming up and I have a few questions about live sound.

I'm going to have a small 4 channel Peavey mixer on stage with me (PV6) and I'm planning on running the following into it: Sampler, 4-Track, Drum Machine, Analog Synth.... so I can control all the levels myself.

Now, should I be using a DI box at all for any of this? how does it work exactly, do I run say the Synth through the DI and then into my mixer?

also, I'm not sure how to connect my Peavey PV6 mixer to the power-amp. On the mixer there are two outputs for "Main Out" one is labeled "L" and one is "R". (Left/Right) I guess I would have to connect both to the power-amp ?

• Members

I thought you didn't need a DI box if you had a mixer?

Don't get me wrong if you want to amp the signal up some before the mixer, by all means that's a good solution. I would try everything out to see how it sounds before you get on stage (that goes without saying, well not this time).

• Members

the purpose of a DI is to convert an unbalanced signal (mono 1/4" jack) to balanced (XLR)

XLR from a DI will be 'hotter' than straight from the mono jack, but shouldn't be anything the gain knob on the mixer can't fix.

The other advantages of a DI is mainly for long cable runs (ie to the front of house mixer). This is for 3 reasons: firstly it prevents extra noise being picked up in the cable run as the to seperate 'signals' in the balanced cable are 180 degrees out of phase. When they are put back in-phase and added together, any noise will now be out of phase and cancel itself out.

Second, the DI can be used as buffer to preserve the signal from high impedence sources (such as direct from a bass guitar's pickups) by converting it to low impedence which survives long cables much better with out as much high-end and volume loss.

thirdly, they can sometimes remove ground loops. these can often be heard as a resonably obvious 'buzz' or 'hum' (usually 50Hz). Many DIs have a 'ground lift' switch which can seperate the ground between the source and the mixer if there is a voltage difference that is causing problems. this is often caused by dodgy wiring/power and the different pieces of gear being connected to different power outlets/circuits.

As your mixer is on the stage, you may not need a DI. but give it a try if you want.

Hope all this helps.........someone correct me if I've got any of this wrong.

• Members

Ambient, you hit all the main points :thu:

If you have the mixer right there with you, you will almost always not need DI boxes with keyboards and other electronic sound generators. With bass guitar or other high impedance sources, you would need one. If you experience ground loops that cause hum, you would need one.

If you have a stereo power amp, and stereo PA mains, then yes, both left and right get hooked up.

• Members

If the mixer is on stage i wouldn't bother with a di. As long as your mixer has line ins you'll be fine. If it doesn't you'll need a di to change the 1/4 in. out into XLR. If your amp is stereo then run the Left out in the Left input and the Right in into the Right input. If the power amps inputs are 1/4in. just get a cheap XLR to 1/4in adapter from radioshack. If the amp is mono, just run the right out into the input and pan everything hard right.

• Members

thanks for clarifying the DI stuff.

but how about the output of the mixer to the power-amp? both Left and Right outs of the mixer should go to the power-amp?

Yes, if you have a stereo power amp. Which is basically 2 amps in 1 that can be bridged (ie connected and their power added together for mono) so 1 'side' of the amp for left, and the other 'side' for right.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Archived