Fulldrive II VS. Barber LTD

clementwave

• Members

So, i've been happily using my Fulldrive II for a while now... it's just when I turn the tone up to get a sparkly drive tone, it gets really really thin, the vintage setting becomes unusable and the compcut mode is too clean, the flat setting is just... thin! I think it's because of the Fulldrive's Boost/Cut EQ section.

I've been watching the PGS Video of the Barber LTD and it seems it retains some of its low end whilst managing to be pretty sparkly at the same time, the Standard LTD (Not the Special Recipe) seems to retain low end like I said. It also has the internal trimmers for bass and presence, so I could keep the external EQ at 12 flat and increase the bass and presence controls for sparkle, yet fat?

Anyone owned either/or and can comment?

• Members

I just got one yesterday and i have only played with it for an hour or so, but man it smokes! I run it into my ac30 and it brings the mojo. the gain is silky smooth and keeps its definition with an open chord. the neck p/u sounds godly through it. It really is an awesome dirt pedal. I have a skreddy Screwdriver, Lovepedal Kanji, Ts9, Zakk pedal, and a timmy too...i think i like the Barber the best so far.

• Members

I actually replaced my Fulldrive 2 with a Baber LTD. Even though I did like the Fulldrive a lot, I had similar issues... the CC mode was too clean, the FM mode was more harsh than I wanted, and for me, the vintage mode was just missing something. When I ran it through my friend's Blues Deville, it sounded amazing... one of the best tones I've ever achieved. But through my rig, I always wondered if something else would work better, especially since I never used the boost side of the Fulldrive.

The LTD works great for me. It sounds a lot more natural to my ears. The Fulldrive has a lot more gain, but at comparable saturation levels, I find the LTD to be much more clear.

And as a bonus, I found the Fulldrive 100% useless at stacking with other pedals. It didn't matter if I put the Fulldrive before or after a given pedal... it just liked to be played by itself. The LTD seems to be much more accommodating to stacking.

Also, check out the tonefactor.com video demo of the LTD. This one actually sold me on the pedal more than the PGS video.

• Members

I had one...and it was one with the mod board with internal trimmers. After owning that pedal...I ALWAYS recoment getting any Barber pedal with that mod board if they make it. It's well worth the extra $50 or $60. So many tones available. It can get very Neil Young as well. I didn't own an LTD or FD2 at the same time....but I'd imagine that they'd sound really nice together. If not....you can always sell the FD2 and get a Direct Drive. My DD and LTD sounded really good together...although the DD was a bit too compressed for my taste. It's basically a glorified TS circuit, and IIRC the FD2 is TS-based as welll.

Bottom line...I don't think you wouldn't be unhappy with an LTD, especially with the mod.

• Members

I've been watching the PGS Video of the Barber LTD and it seems it retains some of its low end whilst managing to be pretty sparkly at the same time, the Standard LTD (Not the Special Recipe) seems to retain low end like I said. It also has the internal trimmers for bass and presence, so I could keep the external EQ at 12 flat and increase the bass and presence controls for sparkle, yet fat?

Anyone owned either/or and can comment?

LTD SR will definitely add a little low end. Only difference between SR and the standard LTD is there's less mids. It's more or less flat EQed apart from the added sparkle and a little low end.

Archived