Small Portable Keyboard/workstation?

1150A

• Members

Hey,

I'm looking for a battery powered/portable keyboard or workstation. Maybe workstation isn't the right thing? I'm a bit new so I'm not sure if what I want is called a workstation.

I'm using an old Yamaha PoratsoundMK-100. It's battery powered, and I can bring it with me around the house. I love it. I can record simple ideas and have it with me while I'm sitting on the bed or something. I like the cheesy sounds and the simplicity. I'd just like to see if there's something new I could try out.

I could go for another old Yamaha or Casio, but I was curious. Is their anything more modern like it? Battery powered isn't a huge necessity as long as it's fairly portable. Though, battery's would make it a lot better for me. I was thinking something along the lines of an old roland or korg work station.. what do you guys think?

• Members

There aren't a lot of small, portable keyboards WITH sequencers ... the Xiosynth sort of has one ... the Micron, while not battery powered, does has a pretty useful sequencer... the Micro-X does not ... "Workstations" typically have at least a MIDI sequencer that can record note information for a number of dif. tracks ...

good luck ... a USB powered controller and cheap laptop and a piece or two of software could prove worthy to portable digitakl songmakers ...

• Members

Casio is the king of the battery powered portables.

I'm partial to Yamaha, but they haven't learned yet that selling portable consumer keyboards that can't be used immediately out of the box isn't a strategy for success. Unbundling the A/C adapter has to be one of the stupidest decisions I've seen from a company of this size. Most consumer sales associates don't know that the required A/C adapter or batteries aren't in the box, nor can they find the right "Survival Kit" in stock when they do. Even my local Guitar Center has trouble matching them up. Yamaha has got to include the A/C adapter in the box. I noticed that the Yamaha products are rated low on Best Buy exactly for this reason. I know that people should carefully read the box before buying, but that's just too much to expect of grandma, grandpa, and the average mom & pop who are checking off a Christmas list in a store packed with people with no sales people in sight. It's got to work right out of the box, period.

Archived