loose hammer on piano, fix?

willi

• Members

Hi

I'm visiting my parents in Hawaii and unfortunately our acoustic upright still has a hammer that is loose from my previous poundings. As you can see in the video below, it's loose and can travel from side to side so much that it hits the hammer and strings next to it.

Now I know the obvious suggestion is to have a professional tuner fix it but unfortunately that isn't an option for quite a while, and I'm being asked to play the piano and I don't want to exacerbate the problem so I am considering working on it myself. Anyone know what the fix is for this? I looked and don't see any sort of adjustment screw anywhere. The neighboring hammers have a straight travel and do not twist when rotated. I'm guessing that I might just simply need to carefully glue the hammer secure, but obviously I'm leery of gluing the piano. Anyone know if this is the proper fix? Suggestions? Aside from the obvious 'call a tuner'.. ;)

Here's a vid of the problem hammer;

http://www.sejus.com/earth2willi/images/misaligned-piano-hammer.mov

Thanks

• Members

About 10 years ago I rescued a Wurlitzer spinet from a construction dumpster. It had been in a adolescent psych ward and though the cabinet was in great shape, the troubled minds had snapped off over half of the tines. I ordered a set from Wurlitzer and spent a few weeks bringing the piano back to life, learning to repair refurbish, and tune it. I opted to use a hot-glue gun with glue sticks designed for wood furniture repair. The idea was that if I didn't get something to seat correctly the first time I could re-heat it and make adjustments (you only get 1 chance with regular wood glue). It has been working now for 10+ years with no problems.

Archived