OT: I hate when people think they need half stacks

turnitto11

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The nice thing about stacks is that they're pretty versatile. Dropping in for a jazz gig? Pick up your 1x12" cab and be good to go. Doing a rock gig outdoors? Wheel out both 4x12 cabinets and headbang away. I find the stack especially appealing in the bass world- eventually I'd like to have a bass head, 2x10 cab, and either a 4x10 cab or a 1x15 (or I've been really impressed by my bassist's 2x12). That way I can tailor the cabs for the venue.

I sold all my bass gear except my bass a few years ago when I moved. I eventually want a 200w tube amp and a 4x10/1x15 stack. I figure 200w on the bass should balance the 50 or so watts that most dudes around here run. A DI will take care of the rest.

• Members

I sold all my bass gear except my bass a few years ago when I moved. I eventually want a 200w tube amp and a 4x10/1x15 stack. I figure 200w on the bass should balance the 50 or so watts that most dudes around here run. A DI will take care of the rest.

200W isn't bad... I'm running 240W in my 20 year old Peavey combo (300W if I ever picked up an extension cab). My bassist uses one of those Behringer 300W heads into a 700W 2x12 cab. I can't believe, though, that the Behr is ACTUALLY putting out any more than 150 or 200W, tops. It's just nowhere near as loud as my combo. I'm trying to talk her into a 450W Ashdown, which the Behr is a clone of.

Archived