EWQL Sale that ends today, buy or wait for NAMM??

Bach42t

• Members

I have been salivating over this collection and wonder if I should go on and spring for it or wait until the NAMM show to see if East West is putting anything new out:

It's an awfully good deal. I am torn right now.

Please remember that, according to EW, you are licensing the sounds. You cannot resell this item in the future if you no longer have a need for it.

• Members

I doubt EastWest will be announcing anything new. They already have a backog of products announced but not yet released:

-- StormDrum II

-- Goliath (replacement for Colossus that includes the PMI Bosendorfer)

-- QL Pianos

-- EWQLSO in PLAY format

-- Some drum program (I don't know the formal name)

-- EWQLSC in PLAY format

-- RA in PLAY format

You do realize that most all of those titles will be eventually released in the new PLAY format, yes?

• Members

-- RA in PLAY format

You do realize that most all of those titles will be eventually released in the new PLAY format, yes?

What is this?? I have heard about PLAY. Is that a reason to wait?? Please help I don't think I have much time, if any. I have a DAW and software budget and I can get this and I love the sounds, but if something is coming that kicks EWQL then it would help. Is PLAY significantly better??

• Members

What is this?? I have heard about PLAY. Is that a reason to wait?? Please help I don't think I have much time, if any. I have a DAW and software budget and I can get this and I love the sounds, but if something is coming that kicks EWQL then it would help. Is PLAY significantly better??

Approximately two years ago EastWest decided to develop their own sample playback engine instead of licensing the Kompakt engine from Native Instruments.

Given software development was new to EastWest (they are sample library developers) the development of their new engine, called "PLAY", has been slower than they planned.

You can read all about PLAY here:

http://support.soundsonline.com/faq/index.php?

EastWest has big plans for their PLAY engine, but currently the only advantage compared to Kompakt is:

-- 64 bit support

-- Intel Mac support

Currently, if you buy the EWQL Symphonic Orchestra software (Pro XP Bundle) you get a free upgrade to the PLAY version. I don't know if the updates are free for the other products you mention.

The unknown is what prices EastWest will set for the new PLAY versions of the products in which you are interested when they come out.

I would probably go ahead and buy them now, given the PLAY versions probably won't be cheaper and you don't know exactly when all of the titles in that bundle will be released in PLAY format.

• Members

Seems like the sale price for that particular bundle is the regular price since the sale has ended! So I am good for now. That's a great deal and I really don't know of anything else at that level and price. The problem is that I have't built my DAW yet, which is coming real soon and then will come the software.

Archived